We Are Together Tamanend!
May 10, 2019
Congratulations, Mr. Klein!
Congratulations to Tamanend Guidance Counselor and Athletic Director Jeff Klein who was named the winner of the Unsung Hero Campaign on Tuesday. Mr. Klein was nominated for this award for his dedication and commitment to our students. The award is sponsored by the Pennsylvania State Education Association/Mideastern Region and the Council for the Advancement of Public Schools. The award comes with a $2000 grant that will be used to create a mural in the Tamanend Gymnasium to honor participants in the Kelly Anne Memorial Fundraiser and Basketball Tournament.
CALENDAR ITEMS TO NOTE
Upcoming Events at a Glance
Parent Book Club--Monday, May 6 @ 6:30 PM in Library
The Diary of Anne Frank--Wednesday, May 15 @ 7:00 PM (free and open to entire CB community)
Parent Council--Thursday, May 16 @ 9:00 AM
One Book, One School Author Visit Assembly (7th & 8th Grade)--Thursday, May 16 during school day
Spring Pep Rally--Friday, May 17 during school day
Relay for Life--Saturday, May 18 @ Tohickon Middle School
Tamanend Book Fair--Monday, May 20 to Friday, May 24
Algebra Keystone Testing--Tuesday, May 21 & Wednesday, May 22
6th Grade Orientation--Thursday, May 23
Memorial Day (School Holiday)--Monday, May 27
9th Grade Move-Up Day--Wednesday, May 29 at CB South during school day
Reminder--Order Your Copy of the Tamanend Yearbook!
Click here to order your copy of this year's Tamanend yearbook. The cost is $40.
Thank You to Tamanend Parent Council for Organizing an Amazing Staff Appreciation Week
Thank you to Parent Council for organizing an amazing Staff Appreciation Week. Thank you to the many parents who donated dishes for the luncheon on Monday. It was absolutely delicious. A very special thank you to all of the volunteers that took time out of their very busy schedules to spend the day helping with setup, serving and clean up! We are so thankful for all the donations for our daily staff gift drawings. Our students had fun cheering as the winners of the daily gift drawings were announced. Thank you again for making Staff Appreciation Week at Tamanend special!
Tamanend Students Help Barclay 6th Graders Rise Together
Congratulations April Boomerang Nominees and Winner!
Spring Arts Festival
Congratulations to all the music students for successful concerts in the last two weeks! It was great to hear how your hard work, practice, and dedication showed paid off in front of concert audiences. Though the evening concerts are over, the music department has several performances left before the end of the school year, including the annual adjudication trip for most of the select ensembles, the Memorial Day parade, and performances at other various community and school events. And congratulations to all of the artists who had their work displayed as part of the Spring Arts Festival. Students and concert-goers enjoyed the student-created works that have adorned our hallways over the past two weeks.
National Junior Honor Society Induction
Tamanend Students Appear on Good Day Philadelphia for Teacher Appreciation Week
Tamanend students who participate in the CB Cares Volunteer Teens program appeared on Good Day Philadelphia on Monday in celebration of Teacher Appreciation Week. Click here to view the video: http://www.fox29.com/good-day/405195514-video
How Tall is Our Flagpole?
Ms. Blasko’s 9th Grade Geometry students calculated the height of Tamanend's flagpole using clinometers, sidewalk chalk and trigonometry! The students calculated their own eye-level height and determined the angle of elevation to the top of the flagpole. Using right triangle trigonometry, they were able to determine that the flagpole stands about 40 feet tall!
HELPUL REMINDERS ABOUT TAMANEND PROCEDURES
Reminder--Student Assistance Program (SAP)
The Student Assistance Program (SAP) has been established in schools throughout Pennsylvania. SAP Programs provide schools with the means to identify, refer, and support students who are exhibiting behavioral, academic, or attendance issues that put them at risk. Tamanend has a team of dedicated school personnel who are trained to assist students, faculty and family members in identifying problems that impact the student’s ability to function in school. The team can also offer students and their families resources to assist them in alleviating these problems. For more information about the SAP Program, please click here. To complete a SAP referral form for a Tamanend student, please click here.
Athletic Department News
- During the Fall of 2019, our 7th and 8th Grade students will have an opportunity to play volleyball at the middle school level through community school. This Spring, each high school will host a volleyball clinic to prepare current 6th and 7th Graders for next Fall.
- 7th Graders interested in playing football at Tamanend…you and your parents should plan to attend an informational meeting in Tamanend’s Cafeteria on Tuesday, May 14th at 6:00. You will receive information about the football program, as well as details on voluntary workouts at the end of May/beginning of June and again in August. Tamanend’s coaches hope to see you there!.
FROM CB SOUTH:
- There will be a concussion meeting, followed by mandatory ImPact testing, for all students trying out for Fall sports at CB South on Monday, May 13th at 3:00 in the Auditorium at CB South. Bus transportation will be provided, and students must be picked up by parents at CB South. Any current 8th or 9th Grade student interested in playing a Fall sport at South must register with Mr. Klein in order to take the bus.
***NEW: The make-up date for those who can not attend on the 13th is Tuesday, June 11th at 3:00 in the cafeteria.
- CB South Cheerleading will hold pen gyms on Monday May 6th and Monday May 13th (following the concussion meeting) from 4:00- 5:30 in the Aux Gym. Tryouts will be held on Monday, May 20th from 3:30-4:45 for 8th graders and 4:45-6:00 for 9th-11th graders; Wednesday May 22nd from 3:30-4:45 for 8th graders and 4:45-6:00 for 9th-11th graders; and Thursday May 23rd at 3:30 for all grades in the Aux Gym.
- CB South Golf: Interest meeting to be held on Monday, May 13 in the Forum Room at the conclusion of the mandatory fall sport concussion meeting. This is for any boy or girl who will be in Grades 9-12 next school year and wants to try out for the golf team.
- CB South Girls Tennis: Interest meeting to be held on Monday May 13 at 3:30 in Room D205CB.
- South Girls Basketball open gyms are held Tuesdays from 6:30-8:30 and Wednesdays from 2:30-4:00. There will be no open gym on May 21st.
- CB South Girls Volleyball open gyms are held Wednesdays in the Aux Gym from 7:00 to 9:00.
- CB South Boys Basketball open gyms will be held Mondays 6:30-8:00 and Thursdays from 3:00 to 4:30, through June 6th.
- All open gyms are weather dependent. Announcements will be made for cancellations.
This Week's Athletic Schedule
- 7th Grade Softball @ Lenape (Away); bus leaves at 2:40
- 7th grade Baseball @ Lenape (Away); bus leaves at 2:40
- 8th Grade Girls Soccer vs. Holland (Home)
- Varsity Track vs. New Hope-Solebury (at Tohickon); buses leave at 2:40
- Concussion testing at CB South for CB South Fall sports; bus leaves at 2:40 (Students taking the bus to South must register with Mr. Klein)
- Girls Lacrosse vs Unami (Home)
- Boys Lacrosse @ Unami (Away); bus leaves at 2:40
- 8th Grade Softball vs. Holland (Home)
- 8th Grade Baseball vs. Holland (Home)
- 8th Grade Softball vs. Tohickon (Home)
- 8th Grade Baseball vs. Tohickon (Home)
- Girls Lacrosse @ Lenape (Away); bus leaves at 2:40
- Boys Lacrosse vs Lenape (Home)
- Varsity Track: CB Relays (at Tohickon); buses leave at 1:55
- 8th Grade Softball @ Log College (Away); bus leaves at 2:20
- 8th Grade Baseball @ Log College (Away); bus leaves at 2:20
- 8th Grade Girls Soccer vs. Unami (Home)
- 8th Grade Softball @ Unami (Away); bus leaves at 2:40
UPCOMING TAMANEND EVENTS
Reminder--The Diary of Anne Frank Performance
Relay for Life 2019 Update
May 18 is almost here! This is a reminder that all teams need an average of $50 per team member to participate, and all donations must be turned in by Monday, May 13. Teams can check their fundraising totals online.
Teams must also provide two chaperones on site at Tohickon at all times, and chaperones must be registered online. Chaperones, please bring a picture ID to Relay!
On Thursday, May 16 in the Auditorium during Advisory, we will have a meeting for ALL students participating in Relay. Shirts will also be distributed next week.
UPCOMING SOUTHSIDE EVENTS
CB South NASA Club's Star Night Event--RESCHEDULED FOR FRIDAY, MAY 17 DUE TO WEATHER
CB South Mock Trial Summer Camp
UPCOMING DISTRICT & COMMUNITY EVENTS
Reminder--The Next Meeting of the Tamanend Parent Book Club is May 13
Join us for the Tamanend Parent Book Club. This year, we will be reading Raising Kids to Thrive (2015) by Kenneth R. Ginsburg, MD. The book describes "the Lighthouse Parenting Strategy" in which parents balance unconditional love and high expectations with the goal of raising resilient and happy children. This book club will follow a "no-pressure" format in which the facilitator will present a summary of the chapter and open the floor for discussion. We will share resources and ideas with the goal of helping the entire Tamanend parent community navigate the challenges of raising adolescents.
Meetings are held at 6:30 in the Tamanend Library
Click here for further information, dates, and book information.
Please email Dr. Brian Caughie at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in participating.
District Art Show--May 31 Through June 2 at CB West
Joe Ramos' Break the Silence Community Picnic--July 27
RESOURCES AND ASSISTANCE
Reminder--Help with Resources
If you are experiencing a financial hardship, please know that the staff members listed below can help you and your family. We can provide assistance with food, clothing, student fees, internet access, and other issues. Please don't hesitate to contact us:
Brian Caughie, Principal email@example.com
Kyle Dudley, Assistant Principal firstname.lastname@example.org
Lauren Myrtetus, Certified School Nurse email@example.com
Jeff Klein, Guidance Counselor firstname.lastname@example.org
Mandy Cammann, Guidance Counselor email@example.com
Reminder--Grandfamilies Support Group
CB Cares Teens is Looking for Volunteers
GETTING INVOLVED AND STAYING CONNECTED WITH TAMANEND
Parent Volunteers Needed for the Freshman Dance
Parent volunteers are needed for the Freshman Dance. Although the dance is for 9th Graders, parents of students in all grades are welcome to help. If you are interested in volunteering, please use the link below:
Thursday, May 16th, 9am
1492 Stuckert Road
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
Please Consider Volunteering at Tamanend Middle School
Reminder--Volunteer Required Paperwork
Pennsylvania law requires all persons having direct contact with school children to obtain background checks and clearances. If you are planning on being in a Central Bucks school during the 2018-2019 school year for any reason, you will need to go to Volunteer Required Paperwork, and complete what is needed to obtain your Photo Volunteer ID Card. You will need that ID Card and a photo ID to enter a CB school.
Reminder--Support Tamanend While You Shop
If you use the following vendors, please think about supporting TMS while you shop:
- Giant Food Store has an A+ School Rewards program through their clip-less coupon card that gives money to the school you designate every time you shop. Use this link to select Tamanend as your A+ school after August 15th of the new school year.
- Clip and send in Box Tops to the attention of NJHS.
Share Good News About Tamanend Students
Ways to Stay Connected with Tamanend
Here is a list of ways Tamanend communicates with students, families, and the community:
- Tamanend website: includes important information, resources, calendar of school events, and daily announcements
- Calendar of school events (posted on our website)
- Daily announcements (scrolling on TV screens during school day and posted on our website)
- TV show (weekly, during Advisory period)
- Email blasts from Tamanend administration regarding important news, new procedures, and reminders
- Parent Portal: student information, grades, and attendance
- Tamanend Connections newsletter: useful information, important reminders, and school highlights emailed weekly during school year and posted on Tamanend website
- Twitter: @CBTamanendMS highlights of activities, events, and daily life at Tamanend
- CBSD app: highlights of activities, events, and daily life in Central Bucks
Para nuestras familias hispanohablantes...
¡Bienvenidos a Tamanend! Yo soy Brian Caughie, Director de Tamanend Middle School. Soy hispanohablante. Pasé mucho de mi vida en España. Estoy aquí para apoyarles a todos los estudiantes y familias en Tamanend. Favor de llamarme or escribirme (en inglés o en español) si Ud. tiene cualquier duda o pregunta.
Correo electrónico: firstname.lastname@example.org
Oficina: (267) 893-2900