December 7, 2015
"It is the supreme art of the teacher to awaken joy in creative expression and knowledge." ~Albert Einstein
Thank you for all the kind messages as I have tried to recover from this horrible pneumonia. I cannot say that I feel like myself yet. I tried to sort the laundry a little while ago and felt like I had run a marathon. However, I certainly feel better than I did, and for that, I am very thankful.
Thank you to everyone who has held down the fort and made sure everything has run smoothly. I intend to return to school tomorrow, although I have been instructed to sit still. Hopefully, I will be able to make it through the day. I am looking forward to seeing you all.
It’s GREAT to be a Harbins Tiger!
Click the red button to go directly to the staff online calendar. The two weeks shown below is just a snapshot.
Who Is Making IT Happen
- Kudos to 1st grade for their high level of collaboration. Using the math lesson from Kaplinski and team members tweaking it to fit student needs is an example of collaboration at its finest.
- Thank you Bob Stone for taking a few friends to add to your class to support a colleague after the Thanksgiving Feast.
- Tammy Lee, your students are engaged at high levels as they work collaboratively during the content, process and product of learning.
- Thank you Kathy Schmidt for the wonderful experience you provided for students during the Maritime Explorer lessons What fun the students and teacher had!
- Thank you Laurie Aldridge for your continued work to get the book rooms cleaned out.
- Thank you Kim Looney for stepping in and helping out when we could not locate a sub anywhere!
- Thank you SIT for "Making It Happen" during December's SIT meeting. Your leadership is an important part of what makes Harbins a great place to work.
Please make sure to let Marie know if a parent will need an interpreter for an SST when you request the meeting.
If the student has an IEP, make sure to let Marie and the case manager know.
If you have requested an SST but have not been given the date of the meeting, please email Marie to confirm the date/time.
Please remember NOT to write a student's name in the subject line of an email.
If a parent sends you an email about a child with their child's name in the subject line, do NOT forward the email with the name of the child.
Delete the name and write "student concern."
Please be mindful to take care of the labs when you leave them.
- Chairs should be pushed in
- Laptops should be charged and cords should be properly secured
- The floor should be free of debris
Please remember to turn off your projector each night.
Cold weather temperatures for outside participation
Temperatures are starting to drop near freezing for low temperatures with daytime temperatures in the 40 to 60 degree range. It is suggested that when wind chill temperatures drop below 40 degrees, the amount of time spent outside should be limited to 20 minutes of less during school hours. The amount of time should be adjusted down as the temperatures drop below freezing. Physical Education classes should be cautious since all students may not be dressed appropriately for these temperatures and instruction may be more difficult. Remember that you can always check the wind chill or heat index by using the following website. http://www.weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/l/USGA0082:1:US
Cyber Learning Days Option - Preparation
As we move into the time period for potential school closings due to inclement weather, we should prepare for the possibility that a 4th or subsequent day of school closure may be declared a Cyber Learning Day, with school and learning continuing that day through our digital resources.
Attached are guidelines to inform our preparations for a potential Cyber Learning Day. In addition, a "Cyber Learning Day Information" course page has been launched in eCLASS C&I and is now available for all teachers and administrators (anyone who currently has access to the C&I Communication Centers, such as the MOCC).
Link to Cyber Learning Day Information course page:
Premier Designs Jewelry
Candi with Premier Designs Jewelry will be set up Tues. Dec 8th in the Tiger Conference room with the New Fall and Holiday Collections. She will be donating a portion of the profits back to the school and she will have a few specials to make shopping a little easier, including a customer favorite $10 special! Be sure to stop by and check out what she has and cross those last few ladies off your list! If you want to check out the catalog online in advance below is the website and you can drop your orders off on the 8th. All orders WILL be back before Christmas Break! Fill free to contact her anytime with questions before the 8th. All orders will be submitted on the 10th to guarantee delivery to the school before the 18th!
Midyear District Assessments
The content window for teachers to review the District Assessment is now open. You are encouraged to view the assessment prior to administration.
Blueprints and Grade Conversions can be found under Instructional Resources.
Any study guides created for an assessment should be developed using the standards on the blueprint not the actual assessment items.
Part B for the Constructed Response is OPTIONAL. Scoring Guides and Rubrics may be found under Instructional Resources.
The Administration Window is 11/30/2015 - 1/15/2016.
Here is a link that contains a 2-page document with online administration directions and online passcodes for Interim 2.
Also, it is in the shared drive under Staff-SchoolNet and in eCLASS--Harbins Landing Page--Content---Assessment.
1) Future Absence/Meeting that you already know about.
a) Put in your leave request through the Portal
b) If Personal, Sick, Common Planning or Meeting with a
County Sub Code, put in for a sub through AESOP. Check to make sure
your absence has been picked up.
c) If County Meeting/Training without a sub code check with Montine.
2) Sickness that arises between 3:00 pm and 6:25 am the next morning.
1) Call the absence line – 678-226-7910 and leave a message
2) Put in a request for a sub in AESOP prior to 6:25 am
3) Put a leave request in the Portal if possible. If not then, put in as soon as you are able
Stellars are assigned ahead of time to cover necessary student meetings and are not set to cover any other classrooms until day of. If you are aware that you are going to be out for any time, sick or personal and even if only for an hour, you need to go into AESOP and put in for a sub. Subs have to be booked for at least a 4 hour period. This does not mean that you will be docked four hours, it just means that the sub will be here for the 4 hours. If it is day of, see Montine for possible stellar coverage.
SchoolNet and RBES
- You can print out an item analysis from Schoolnet that can be attached to your RBES goals
- Click here to view and/or print the directions document.
- A copy of the document is also available on the Shared Drive - Staff - SchoolNet folder and in the eCLASS C&I - Harbins ES Training - Content - Tutorial Videos
- Please see Mr. Rogers if you have any questions about this process
Dates That Lunch Monitors Are Not Available and Teachers Will Need to Eat in Cafe With Their Class
January 8th & 26th
February 5th & 22nd
March 4th & 21st
April 18th & 28th
- Technology coaching is open to all instructional staff, either through lessons with students, or for you during planning time. I would love to help you plan for successful technology integration in any way that I can, including model lessons, co-teaching, observing, or working during your planning time. Click here to access the 2nd 9 weeks technology coaching schedule and sign up for a time.
- Please remember to remove yourself from the lab schedule if you can't come at the time you signed up for. There is no need to email to say that a slot is open.
- Don't forget to turn off your projectors when leaving your classroom.
- Tip of the week: want to organize filed & folders for teaching in Google Drive? Here is a great video to help you get started.
Classroom Spirit Award
Leaders in Learning
A Chrome file has been shared with each teacher, please go in to list your Leader in Learning each month when Montine sends out the notification email.