Findley Elementary School
October 30, 2020
Message from the Principal
Happy Friday Findley Families,
Here we are at the end of October. We have been doing CDL for almost two months now. I do hope you and your family have reached a point where you are in a good routine and that on-line learning has gotten easier, not harder. Thank you to everyone who took the time to complete our Family Distant Learning Survey. We gathered some very good data and are in the process of implementing several new practices we hope you find helpful.
First, over half the survey respondents indicated that their child was feeling a sense of loneliness, and that they miss their friends at school. To help with this, we will begin Virtual Recesses next week. Each grade level will have one “Virtual Recess” per month, hosted by our fabulous Findley paraeducators and/or specialist teachers. On your students’ designated day, they will be able to log onto a Zoom session during their lunch hour, 11:30-11:50 am, and have opportunities to self-select a breakout room based on interest. Our hope is that kids will find this to be a time of unstructured social interaction with their peers. You can find the schedule in this newsletter. Zoom information will be coming soon from your child’s teachers.
Many families reported that their child(ren) is(are) having difficulty regulating emotions and/or working independently. Here’s a good one page (double-sided) document you can use as a guide for setting your child up for success with distance learning , no matter the location (home, friend’s house, daycare). Coming in November, December and January we will be hosting our popular Parent Partnerships designed to support you and your child with at-home learning. More info to come on these opportunities for you to connect with us, and each other. You don’t want to miss out!
It has been fun to see folks on Book Distribution days, supply pick-ups and out in the community taking advantage of the Book Bus. If you haven’t been by the school yet, check our website for details about our Library curb-side checkout and do take advantage of getting books. And, as always, please be sure you reach out to us with your concerns, questions and needs. We stand by ready to help!
Here’s to a great weekend, Dragons!
Sherry Marsh, Ed.D.
TAG & SUMMA
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and our current reality of Comprehensive Distance Learning, CDL, the BSD TAG testing process will look different this year. Teachers will spend this Fall/Winter collecting evidence on how students respond to differentiation within their distance learning classroom. School TAG facilitators will collect nominations from teachers and parents this Fall/Winter and along with collected evidence, decisions will be made on which students will be selected to test in person after March, 2021.
- The CogAT Screener will not be administered to all 3rd & 5th grade students this year.
- Grade 5 students will be invited to take the CogAT Full Version at designated test sites on December 2 or December 9. Scores can be used for both TAG/Summa. Invitations for testing will be emailed from the District mid November.
- A school TAG committee will determine which K-3 students take the CogAT, based on nominations and collected evidence. Testing will occur after March, 2021.
- Iowa Test of Basic Skills (ITBS: Reading and/or Math) - TBD
- A committee will convene to look at achievement testing during CDL and recommendations will be made for the testing process.
- Summa Testing and Eligibility
- Scores from the 3rd grade CogAT Full Version will be used for Summa eligibility. This is a change from last year.
- Scores from 4th grade ITBS Reading and Math tests will be used for Summa eligibility.
- Students will be notified in early November of their eligibility. Students who are eligible do not require further testing.
- All Grade 5 students will be invited to take the CogAT Full Version at a designated test site on December 2 or December 9. Invitations to all 5th graders will be emailed from the District in mid November.
- The process for reading and math achievement is currently under review. Updates will be posted once decisions have been made.
- Summa and Learning Options
- There will be no Summa applications this year. Eligible students will be notified and asked to electronically confirm or decline a Summa position during January 27-February 3, 2021.
- Students may apply for one Learning Option in addition to being eligible for Summa.
- Students who are selected through the Options Lottery or from Second Consideration AND are eligible for Summa will need to make a choice by February 3, 2021.
Safe Routes To School (SRTS)
On Sunday, Nov. 1st, we lose an hour and it will be darker earlier. With shorter days this time of year, all road users should be extra alert to see each other. Here are some suggestions to help everyone stay safe on the road:
Wear bright reflective clothing when walking or rolling.
Don’t assume people driving will see you. Make eye contact before crossing in front of
Be alert! Keep eyes and ears open, especially while crossing the street.
Cyclists should make sure to have lights and wear helmets – it is the law, and it helps
people see you and keep you safe.
Driving or biking? Use extra caution and slow down in the dark and rain. Always be alert
for people on foot or bike at intersections, crosswalks (marked and unmarked), bike lanes and in school zones. Do not text and drive – it’s against the law, carries steep fines and is unsafe for all road users.
Child Care Subsidy
Notes from the PTO Board:
Dragon Dash Update!
Dragon Dash Prize Assembly and T-shirt/Prize Pickup!
Your students viewed the Dragon Dash prize assembly today in their virtual classroom. Please check out the video put together by our parent volunteers. A BIG THANK YOU to Rebecca Greene and Vothy Heang for their hard work on putting together all the videos for this year's event!
Dragon Dash Prize Assembly
Dragon Dash T-shirt/prize pickup is just a few weeks away. All students will receive a T-shirt! A Yo-Yo and Findley bracelet will be distributed if your student raised at least $50 (company matching excluded). Students who won raffle prizes will receive them at that time as well.
The event will take place Wednesday, November 18th at Findley in the upper parking lot. Please pull up next to the curb closest to the pickup tent. The event will be drive-thru by last name. Please see below for your pickup time. As you drive through the event, please have an 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper with your student(s) first and last name so we can quickly get you your swag. Please stay in your vehicle and a parent volunteer will bring your T-shirt and/or prize to your vehicle window.
• 10-10:30am - A - Cal
• 10:30-11:00am - Cam - Est
• 11-11:30am - Et - Heg
• 11:30-12:00pm - Hei - Kay
• 12-12:30pm - Ket - Lov
• 12:30-1:00pm - Low - Oda
• 1-1:30pm - Odb - Rob
• 1:30-2:00pm - Roc - Sin
• 2-2:30pm - Sio - Wan
• 2:30-3:00pm - Wao - Z
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Findley Art Literacy is organizing fun and creative-thinking art lessons to do at home during this Comprehensive-Distance-Learning time, requiring basic materials you have and very little prep work.
Please check out our October lesson NATURE ART
on our Art Lit website. All Findley students are encouraged to participate!
We also have a virtual gallery page to see the artworks that our talented students are creating.
Thank you for your support,
Art Literacy Website
Virtual Passport Club Grades 2-5
It has been a long time since we have gotten together and taken a trip around the world!
Well, the Passport Club has been exploring how to adapt to the new environment we all find ourselves in and happy to introduce a virtual Passport Club for Findley students! Join us in the virtual classroom - Click here
Here is a summary of the steps to get in on the fun with more detailed instructions below:
1. Download this month's maps (We are starting with September this month)
2. Visit this month's virtual classroom
3. Learn this month's maps
4. Take the quiz when you are ready
This is a whole new experience and we understand that there will be a lot of questions, learnings and changes as we navigate this new virtual Passport Club.
Please rest assured that we are dedicated to making this the best that we can under the circumstances and ask for your patience and understanding as we all go through this process together.
With that being said, let's have some fun and travel the world together!
Up Coming Events
1st Time Changes (Fall back 1 hour)
9th - PTO Meeting 7pm Virtual meeting Click Here P/w Dragons 974 0821 0518
11th - No School - Veterans Day
13th - No School - Grading Day
17th - Parent partnership Series
18th - Dragon Dash Drive through prize pick up - times TBD
20th - Hat Day - All School Assembly
25 - 26 - 27 No School - Thanksgiving
Library Book Pick up - Wednesdays 9:30 - 1pm. Fridays 10:30 - 12:30 pm
Bus Stop Books - Tuesdays - See website for details
12/21-1/1 - Winter Break NO SCHOOL