----WANTED----Russian Wheat Aphid
Diuraphis noxia (Курдюмова)
What is an Invasive Species?
- Not native to its new environment
- Out competes native species
Species: Diuraphis noxia
Introduction and Success
The aphid spread in large numbers with its winged form and breed in the new field asexually because there are no male Russian wheat aphids in the U.S.
The aphid takes 7-10 days to grow up and lives for 60-80 days
Damage Done to the Environment
- Causes losses to cereal crops such as wheat, corn, and oats.
- Overpopulates and wipes out fields of crops
- Gets preyed upon by the Braconid wasp
- Eats grasses and cereal plants
Limiting factors and solutions
In it's native environment Russia, the aphid cannot over populate because of the cold climate.
- More parasitic wasps(Braconid wasp) and fungal pathogens into the area
- Larger dispersion between each wheat fields
- Chemical use