Fifth Grade Newsletter
September 6, 2018
- Absent/Late: If your child is going to absent or arrive late due to an appointment, please email the teacher as well as Mrs. Hurwich at email@example.com as soon as possible
- Appointments: a doctor’s note is required for an appointment to be excused and must be submitted to the office within 3 days of the appointment
- A parent note/email or doctor note must be provided for an absence or it will remain unexcused
- See FISD Attendance Guidelines at https://www.friscoisd.org/about/resources-and-information/school-attendance for more details
College Week September 10-14
Monday- Your Future is Bright. Wear neon colors today.
Tuesday Be true to your school. Wear Smith shirts.
Wednesday Heading off to College-Wear a hat today.
Thursday- College Spirit Day-Wear your favorite college colors and spirit gear.
Friday- Dot Day- Make your mark, take your first steps to get ready for college. Wear dots today.
Green Team Application Due September 11th
I, Mrs. Vanstory, am the new Smith Recycling Coordinator for this school year. I am sending home, in the Thursday folder, an application for your student to fill out if they are interested in being on our Green Team! The application is due by Tuesday, September 11th. Please note that the program will start on September 18th. ALL students will need to be picked up from school no later than 3:20 on Tuesdays in the West loop (3-5 loop). This year, our Green Team’s responsibilities will be collecting the recycling from the classrooms AND, new this year, helping to care for our Outdoor Learning Center. This will include watering, pulling some weeds, and picking up anything that does not belong. We will rotate stations throughout the year. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.
Class T-shirts - Due 9/14
Pine Cove 5th Grade Camp
As you know, this is the year for 5th Grade Camp. Pine Cove Timbers in Tyler, Texas is the site of this amazing outdoor learning opportunity for students. Students will have an opportunity to participate in hands-on activities that will develop their awareness, appreciation, and understanding of the outdoor environment. It is an extension of our classroom. The camp curriculum is aligned with the State and the camp staff is outstanding; and you can feel good about your child’s participation in this enriching opportunity.
A Pine Cove parent information meeting will be held September 18th from 6:00 - 7:00 pm, but in the mean time, we wanted to give you some information so you can plan ahead.
- The dates for camp are Wednesday, November 14 through Friday, November 16.
- The cost for the camp is $153 per child and $20 transportation fee. Payment is due on Oct. 15.
- Students are supervised the entire time by camp personnel, chaperones, and teachers.
- If you are interested in being a chaperone and have not yet signed up, please contact Mrs. Baril at firstname.lastname@example.org (chaperones chosen at random mid Oct. and background checks must be done by Oct.1) Chaperone fee is approx. $80.
- Students stay in nice cabins with a/c, heat, and private showers.
- All meals are included. Dietary restrictions are accomodated and can be designated here http://bit.ly/2vqKReU If you questions about dietary needs please contact Mrs. Baril at email@example.com
All other questions regarding Pine Cove will be addressed in our informational meeting on Sept. 18.
Reading- Foreshadowing in Fiction Text
Writing- Personal Narratives and subject and predicate
Science- Mixtures and Solutions
Social Studies- Colonization in America
We would also like to remind you that upon leaving the loop, you must turn right only. Waiting to go straight holds up the line. Going left and driving the wrong way to get around cars is dangerous and of course illegal.
Thank you for your patience and assistance.
September 6 - Curriculum Night
September 10-14 - College Week
September 11- Green Team Application Due
September 14 - Dot Day
September 18 - Pine Cove Information Meeting
September 25 - Picture Day and DI meeting
October 5 &8- No school