All About Fiber!
By Lovenia Williams
~Dissolve in water
~Makes our body feel fulll for a long time
~Slows down the release of sugar into the blood and lower cholesteral levels in the blood
~Do not dissolve in water
~Cleans and scrubs the dijestive tract so we can eliminate wastes from our systems more easily
Major Sources of Fiber
Baked Potato with Skin
The Skin is the best part!
Including all the seeds and the skin
Any Cereal with at least 5 grams of fiber in a serving = high fiber
The crunchier the better
Almonds, pecans, and walnuts have more fiber than other nuts
That means whole-wheat bread, pasta, etc
Effects of Fiber
Not enough fiber gives you a lack of energy which makes you feel tired, weak, and unable to think clearly. it can also cause constipation, nutritional deficiencies, nausea, headache and bad breath.
Too much fiber can cause several health problems. it can cause your body to cramp, have diarrhea, malabsorption (cannot absorb foods), intestinal gas, and intestinal blockage.
Random Fiber Facts
* 50% of fiber in oat bran in soluble, which can help lower blood cholesteral levels
* Most fiber pills actually contain little fiber and no other nutrients
* Kellogg's Raisin Bran has more fiber than any of Kellogg's other cereal
* On nutrition food labels, "Good Source" means at least 3 grams of fiber per serving and "Excellent Source" means at least 5 Grams of fiber per serving
* The digestive tract is an amazing 28 feet long
What I Learned About Fiber
F ive grams of fiber is an excelent amount of fiber
I nsoluble fiber is capable of absobing up to 15 times its own weight in water
B ad breath is what you will get without fiber
E ssentail to everyone's health
R esearch shows that fiber can help decrese tumor growth
Blue Foundations Book