Saunders County 4-H
March 31, 2017
Special Garden Project
Saunders County Volunteers are up for re-screening this year, so every volunteer must fill out the Youth Volunteer Protection Screening Form! This form can be found here: http://extension.unl.edu/statewide/saunders/leader-clubs/
State Fair Entry Fees- NEW
2017 State Fair Livestock Fees
On December 9, the Nebraska State Fairboard voted to add a bedding fee onto the entry fee for all livestock exhibitors; the fee will be $15 for beef and dairy and $5 for sheep, goats, and swine. The Fairboard also voted to add a $3 per head fee for 4-H & FFA market animals to help defray the costs of drug testing. These costs are in addition to the existing entry fees that will stay the same for 2017.
The Nebraska State Fair continues to be supportive of FFA and 4-H and values all that youth and families bring the Fair; however, escalating costs for bedding, bedding removal, etc. have forced them to reassess their fees. They are also aware that there are other costs for families including DNA sampling and EID tags. While this does add a financial burden; hopefully, by knowing early, families can make appropriate decisions about nominating animals and their plans for exhibiting.
Based on 2016, the 2017 entry fees will be:
- Market Beef - $18 now $36
- Breeding Beef - $18 now $33
- Dairy Cattle - $10 now $25
- Market Meat Goat - $5 now $13
- Breeding Meat Goat - $5 now $10
- Market Sheep - $5 now $13
- Breeding Sheep - $5 now $10
- Market Swine - $5 now $13
4-H Enrollment - DEADLINE = APril 1st!!
- 4-H Enrollment for 2017 is open! Enrollment must be done via computer at ne.4honline.com. There are information guides for enrolling new members, as well as re-enrolling and can be found on our website: http://extension.unl.edu/statewide/saunders/basic/.
- There is a $10 per 4-H member fee for those 8 (prior to January 1) and older. Clover Kids have a $5 enrollment fee (that are 5, 6, 7 prior to January 1). All enrollment fees will need to be paid online in the 4-H Online system.
- However, since the program cannot specify different enrollment fees for different aged youth, you will be charged $10 regardless of age. If your Clover Kid attends one of the Clover Crew sessions or the Clover Kid Day Camp, we will adjust the payment. For example, you would not have to pay for one of the Clover Kid sessions or the Day Camp would be $5 cheaper.
- If we do not receive your forms and fees, you will not be enrolled in 4-H for 2017 and will not be able to participate in the Saunders County Fair.
- If you are still pending in the system, or do not show as "active" in the system, but you think you are enrolled, please call the office to find out if there was an error with your profile!
The new YQCA is here!!
4-H Clover Chase
Between March 1 - August 15, 2017, Nebraska 4-H will be hosting a photo scavenger hunt for all 4-H members. Using an app, participants will complete challenges and submit photo entries on social media using #NE4HChase.
For more information, see http://4h.unl.edu/4-h-clover-chase-nebraska-150-event
Friends of Saunders County 4-H and Extension Foundation Silent Auction Fundraiser
- Rain Barrel Silent Auction Fundraiser
- Each Club can make one to donate to the Silent Auction at the Fair!
- Rain barrel is any above ground container modified to receive, store, and distribute rooftop runoff for non-drinking uses
- Clubs can construct (or purchase premade barrels) to prime and paint them as well
- Darker colored barrels are better suited, because algae can grow given sunlight. The barrels also need to be food grade or have never held harmful chemicals. The finished barrel can be painted using spray paint for plastics such as Krylon or Rust-Oleum.
Shooting Sports Policy Change
The Nebraska 4-H Shooting Sports Advisory approved the following policy that will go into effect on October 1, 2017.
“All instructors must teach youth or assist in instruction of youth, a minimum of four hours in their respective discipline every year. Instructors must also complete and submit their annual instructor report to the state coordinator to remain a certified instructor in their respective discipline”.
To assist 4-H Shooting Sports instructors in collecting their data that will enable them, or Extension staff to complete the on-line electronic system, a form is available on the 4-H Shooting Sports web site under the “Instructor Resources” tab. Every instructor must submit an Annual Report. Completion of the on-line data collection system is due by October 15th each year. A web link allowing instructors or other individuals to access the on-line electronic form will be provided at a later date.
4-h Projects Online Search Feature!
Select 2017 4-H Projects by Using the Online Search Feature!
The NEW interactive, web-based Nebraska 4-H Pick Your Project can be found online at http://nebraska4hprojects.com! This project selection guide is accessible through the Nebraska 4-H website on the club, volunteer, and parents/youth resource pages. Using the Pick Your Project, youth, volunteers, and parents will be able to search for projects by keywords, project areas, curriculum areas, experience levels, and projects that contain State Fair and/or County Fair eligible entries.
Nebraska Ag Youth Institute- Due April 15
Ag Science Expo
Spend the afternoon on Saturday, April 29th from 12:30 pm to 4:30 pm engaging and interacting with science!
- 3-D Sand: Understand topography maps by playing in the sand.
- Nutrients for Soil: Discover the nutrients that let plants grow.
- Electric Flower: Build a circuit to make your flower glow.
- Print your Fix: Design and print your solution to a problem.
- Laparoscopic Surgery: Complete the challenge by designing a tool and conducting surgery.
- Code your Name: Use binary code to make a name bracelet.
For more information, please see: http://extension.unl.edu/statewide/saunders/camps-classes/
BEEF / DAIRY
- Burt County Beef Preview, Oakland NE - Saturday, April 1
- Seward Calf Classic, Seward - Saturday, April 8 (*pdf, 2 pgs, 161 kb)
- Saunders County Beef Progress Show, Wahoo - Saturday, April 15 (*pdf, 1 pg, 117 kb)
SWINE / GOATS / SHEEP
- Platte County Swine Progress Show, Columbus - Sunday, June 18 (*pdf, 1 pg, 3669 kb)
- MAKIN’ BACON…AND A WHOLE LOT MORE! Applications DUE April 1st!
- NE 4-H Roping Clinic, Grand Island, - Sat. & Sun, April 1 & 2 (*pdf, 1 pg, 253 kb)
- Horse Judging School - April 22nd
- 4-H Horse Camp, Fort Robinson - June 8-10 (*pdf, 1 pg, 251 kb)
- 4-H Horse Show, Wahoo - Sunday, June 11
Saunders County Fair Dates
July 22-29. 2018
Saunders County Extension
Extension is a Division of the Institute of Agriculture and Natural Resources at the University of Nebraska–Lincoln cooperating with the Counties and the United States Department of Agriculture.
University of Nebraska–Lincoln Extension educational programs abide with the nondiscrimination policies of the University of Nebraska–Lincoln and the United States Department of Agriculture.