Fill yer sails with the amazing work of ye mateys at NP3!
November 16, 2015
Celebrate Supporting academic conversations
- Students benefit from specific language support (versus content support).
- Sentence frames support use of complete sentences.
- Modeling and referencing sentence frames frequently reinforces student practice.
- Scaffolding each part of a conversation helps provide more stopping points - to review student use of a language skill and provide feedback.
- It's important to add student questions and/or student feedback to student conversations - it supports students learning how to respond in a conversation.
- Build connections by associating new knowledge and skills with experiences students already have.
Watch an example of supporting ELL's! The video below is an example of a teacher that supports language acquisition by activating prior knowledge in preparation for learning about persuasion. She draws upon a familiar student experience and a 3 step interview process. This process allows students the opportunity to share, ask questions and paraphrase with one another. Activating prior knowledge is a great way to build connection between something new and something students already have experience with. It allows students to build associations with new material. While you're viewing the video, consider the following:
- How does paraphrasing another student's answer support language acquisition?
- The video does not show modeling - how could the addition of modeling be added to the activity?
Your dedication and practice of effective strategies support student learning! Thank you for all the work you do! Go Pirates!
NP3 Announcements Mateys!
For Teachers Only:
- "On a Roll" Teacher dates: Please continue to pump up and talk about the "On a Roll" celebration! Dec 2nd is the deadline for student retakes (for retakes to "count" toward "on a roll" celebration). Dec 7th Advisory grade checks will be used as the tool to determine if students reached the celebration eligibility of 3's/4's on all summative assessments. If students are eligible, teachers will mark the students accordingly on a provided list, which needs to be returned to Silas end of day Dec 7th.
- 6th Celebration: The next celebration is 12/11.
- Pre-Turkey Pirate Party: Save the date! Nov 19th, 3:30, Track 7.
- Holiday Par-tay: Save the date! Dec 12th, 3:30, Hunt’s house.
- Parent Night: Please remember to collect your "Parent Night RSVPs." When students turn in the "interest survey" rsvp slip, please put them in Missio's box OR keep track on your own and give a final count to Misso via email.
- Q2 Parent Conferences: Dec 14th-Dec 18th. Please send your invites out the Monday we get back from break.
- Trash Clean-Up: 11/17-Cook & Missio; 11/18-Larin & Snelling; 11/20-Michaelis & Kons.
Share with Advisees:
- Infinite Campus Log-in: Infinite Campus access is now available for students and families to view information on student academic progress. Please view further directions and information on the NP3 Middle website. https://natomasunified.org/np3m/parents/powerschool-for-parent
Open Enrollment: It’s time for OPEN ENROLLMENT! NP3 Middle and NP3 High are currently accepting applications for the 2016 – 2017 school year. Our application period closes on November 20, until 4:00 PM. Middle School applications are available on – line at https://natomasunified.org/np3m/about-us/enrollment/ and https://natomasunified.org/np3h/ for the high school, or at the front office. The Office is open from 7:30 AM until 4:00 PM. Completed applications can be dropped off or faxed. Our fax number is 916-567-5749.
You’re “On A Roll" to Honor Roll: Semester 1 academic celebration hosted by student government. Students with 3s and 4s on all summative assessments will be rewarded with an Academic Celebration that will consist of food, drinks, music, and some fun activities. The party is free to those who are invited. The “On a Roll” academic celebration will be held on Friday December 11th in the gym from 3:00-4:00 pm. There is a late bus at 4:15. Note: the last day for students to complete retakes for academic celebration entry is Wednesday December 2nd. Therefore planning ahead is necessary if retakes are needed.
- NP3 High Fun Fact: NP3 HS will be having its Annual Visual and Performing Art Show on the evening of Dec 3rd. All are welcome to attend to see HS art work and choir perform.
- Parent Night: Save the date! Please see the attached flyer for information about a useful parent night presentation and workshop: "Parental Involvement at the Middle School Level: How to Help Your Child Maximize Academic Potential." We hope you join us for this FREE seminar on Tuesday, December 1st. Just cut the bottom off the flyer and give to your child's advisory teacher to show your interest in attending!
- Booster Meeting: The next one is 12/14! There are always snacks!
- Yearbook Announcements: Yearbook prices until December are $22 for soft cover and $27 for a hard cover. There are more ordering options online, so please order online if you can! Forms went home last week! Yearbook forms/checks/cash should be given to Ms. Snelling or the Advisory teacher directly.
- Thank you Grams: 6th grade is selling Thank You grams at snack break and lunch to raise money for Sci Camp. The grams will be distributed at the end of the week.
- Last Day of Tutoring for Semester 1: Nov 18th is the last day of tutoring for semester 1. Tutoring will resume in January. Our wonderful HS tutors need to study for finals.
- Spaghetti Factory: Fundraiser for Science Camp! Nov 18th 4-9pm, mention NP3 MS on anything you order and 15% of the sales go to fund Science Camp!
- November Break: No School Nov 23-27. Enjoy!
- Spirit Week: Show your school spirit Nov 30th-Dec 4th: Monday-PJ Day, Tuesday-Twin Day, Wednesday-Sports Day, Thursday-Royal Day, Friday-Color War 6th-Orange, 7th-White, 8th-Black
- 8th CSUS Field Trip: Please make sure you get your permission slips in for the Dec 4th field trip.
- Q2 Dance: Friday Dec 4th from 3:30-5:30. Please make sure you are here at 5:30 to pick up your kiddo!