for the Week of May 14th Plus
Reminders from the Principal
With the time of year, it is an imperative that all teachers follow the proper procedures for allowing students out of class. Regardless of why you let them out, they MUST have a pass. Even with the stepped up tardy sweeps, we are still having teachers let students out of class. Do not send students back to their lockers to get things because they forgot them without a pass.
The end of the year check-out list has been posted to the google classroom. Seven items on the check-out list will only be accepted through the classroom and have already been set up as assignments with due dates.
All teachers are required to administer a unit assessment every 4.5 weeks and they must be labeled as a unit assessment in your gradebook. These assessments must also appear in the gradebook to reflect grades for that time period. While the expectation is that all teachers will administer at least one unit test every 4.5 weeks, the total number of assessments each nine weeks is determined by the classroom teacher. With assessments counting 75% of the nine weeks grade it behooves each teacher to have more than two. All teachers are required to have spoken to or had face-to-face contact with parents of students who have an "F" in their class BEFORE the end of each 9 weeks. It is NOT the responsibility of the EX ED teacher to make those contacts for the classroom teacher, either. These are non-negotiables.
All staff are responsible for electronic communications and items shared through the google platform. A copy of the current staff handbook for HMS is on the google drive.
All teachers should be uploading evidence to EducateAlabama on a regular basis. Do not wait until the last minute. If you are having issues with EducateAlabama, follow the instructions on the EducateAlabama site for contacting the Help desk.
Here is a list of reminders for this semester:
1. If we want things to change the change starts with us.
2. All employees will be professional.
3. Attendance counts even for the adults. Attendance must be taken each class period and posted.
4. Our expectations for students have to be taught and have to be consistent across the team if not grade level.
5. All teachers are expected to be on time for school and duty.
6. Hall duty does not mean standing in a huddle and talking about the students. It means actively supervising students in all areas of the building. This includes the lunchroom. Teachers do not have a duty free lunch. Teachers are expected to monitor students to the lunchroom, in the lunchroom (including the line) and on the way back from the lunchroom.
7. All students are expected to be in the classroom when the tardy bell rings.
8. No student should be allowed out of class without a pass, period.
9. Teachers and staff are expected to be on campus all day. Permission to leave campus must be given by an administrator and only if it is school related.
10. 3rd Period Advisement and Career Prep Lessons are not optional. It is the expectation that these lessons will be delivered each Friday including when a teacher is absent.
11. Sub folders should contain emergency lesson plans for a teacher's classes including 3rd period. Rosters for all classes must be included in the Sub-Folders.
Important Reminders for the Week of May 14th Plus
May 14 - Supplementary Inventory due to in the Google Classroom by 8 AM
May 14 - Spring Band Concert
May 14 - Knit Club EOY Party after school in Art Room
May 15-17 - Girls Basketball Tryouts
May 17-22 - 2nd Semester Diagnostics
- May 17 - 6th & 7th Periods
- May 18 - 4th & 5th Periods
- May 21 - 2nd Period
- May 22 - 1st Period
- May 23-24 - Make-ups & Grade Recovery
May 18 - Final Textbook Inventory due to Dr. Foster through Google Classroom
May 21 & 22 - American Fidelity in the Conference Room - all board employees must sign-off on benefits by close of business on May 22.
May 21 - End of the Year Awards Ceremony @ HHS
May 22 - Cheerleader Preview in the Gym
May 23-24 - Grade Recovery
May 23 - Begin Retention Meetings
May 23 - Teacher supply lists due by 3 PM in Google Classroom
May 23 - Student debt listing due in Google Classroom by 3 PM
May 23 - Computer/Network Log-in information due by 3 PM in Google Classroom
May 24 - Grades Due by noon
May 24 - Grade Verification Sheets due by 3 PM
May 24 - Final Parent Contact logs due in Google Classroom
May 24 - Final Gradebooks due in Google Classroom by 3 PM
May 25 - Teacher Work Day - Mr. Powell will begin checking rooms as soon as you are ready - once he has checked your room, I can complete your sign-off
May 25 - Report Cards Mailed
Lesson Plan, Unit Assessments & Contact Log Administrators
- 6th Grade teachers, Poe, Finch, Overton, and Owens submit to Mr. Anders via email.
- 7th Grade teachers, Gonzalez, Moreno, Evans, Williams and Channel submit to Mr. Powell via email.
- 8th Grade teachers, Cerka-Wilkes, A. Smith, Kunath, Whitfield and Richards-Broome submit to Dr. Foster via email.
Lesson Plans/Parent Contact Log Calendar
May 24 (PC through May 24)