Don't Be Sour, Use Solar Power!
By: JR and MM
Better than Fossils Fuels
How Does it Work?
Solar panels are made of a PV cells (photovoltaic). These convert sunlight into DC (direct current). These only work with sunlight, so only in the day time. Then a device connected to the panel converts DC electricity to AC (alternating current).
They are currently being used in South Dakota and work great!
- It's renewable, unlike fossil fuels
- It's here everyday and abundant
- It is sustainable
- It is better for the environment than fossil fuels
- Low maintenance
- Reduces electricity cost
- Technology is improving
- Expensive- but getting cheaper
- Requires space
- Only works when its sunny out
Price: $7-$9 per watt
How long do they last?
- Solar panel - these are the foundation of your solar setup, they create the energy when exposed to light
- Charge controller - this regulates the power coming from the solar panels with the right voltage to send to a battery
- Battery- stores the power created
- Inverter- converts direct power to AC power for the set-up of the house
- Grid-tied systems- tie your solar power to a nearby power grid