Mrs. Dixon's Class ENewsletter
What's Happenin' in Room 306?
- Tomorrow: Monday,March 10th- PIcture Day :)
- Tuesday, March 25th- Field Trip to Adobe -If you would like to be a parent chaperone please email me ASAP- I HAVE 2 MORE SPOTS LEFT- let me know if you want to come!
- Mark your Calendars: Monday May 5th- Field Trip to Carlsbad Library to visit the John Cederquist: Illusions in Wood exhibition at the William D. Cannon Art Gallery. This is a free field trip we were lucky to snag before they filled up. The only cost will be for the bus. Mrs. McLeod's class will be going with us and will hopefully be able to have lunch at the park after the library. Stay tuned for more information and permission slips! :)
Thank You Mystery Readers and Mr. Barcenas!
Thank you to all of the parents/family members who were able to come in to be our class Mystery Readers! We value your time and the students loved to hear all of the beloved Dr. Seuss books read aloud!
Literature Circles in Room 306- New Homework Change
However, due to the sporadic times we could work in Literature Circles I found two problems. It would take a very long time to complete a chapter book because they would only meet for 20-30 minutes 3 times a week. As a result, their overall comprehension of the book was not as strong.
Therefore, beginning this week we are going to try something new and have students spend their normal 20 minutes of reading homework reading their Literature Circle book and working on their journal. They will also work on their Lit Circles assignment in class as well. This way, they can interact with the book MUCH more frequently and when they meet with their groups they will spend the time discussing and working on their projects rather than reading it together.
Please know this is NOT more homework, it is simply replacing their 20 minutes of reading with their Literature Circle books.
Most importantly, the ONLY way this can be successful is that if students DO their Lit Circle homework and that they have their Lit Circle book and journal with them at school as well. I told them it is their third arm ;) We will try this out for the next two weeks and I'll monitor how it's working and adjust accordingly.
Math in Planet 306: Fractions
The students are doing great so far with fractions! Please remember homework is Learnzillion Flipped H.W. Mon-Wed as there are really good videos to teach you about our daily concepts. Please make sure you are taking notes correctly and understanding the lessons.
Don't forget Extra Credit Technology Activities- there are MANY Learnzillion videos that they can watch that they won't have a chance to for h.w. or in class. Check out this week's Computer Center Activities posted on Edmodo for a list of GREAT lessons they can do for extra credit. THey may also play the Tree Frog Fraction app on Edmodo in addition to the other apps about fractions!
Finally, there are MANY fun fraction activities posted on our CC Math Tech LInks!
Introducing "My Big Campus"....SMUSD students' Online Classroom
For now, I'm going to just let students do what they do best...explore and figure it out! We will keep using Edmodo until we are all ready and comfortable to switch fully to My Big Campus.
Here are the two most important rules for my students:
1) The main priority of Edmodo and My Big Campus is to serve as your Online Classroom. Education and enrichment is the objective with social/fun stuff less of a priority. If you are only participating in Edmodo or My Big Campus for the social/fun part and NOT participating in MY posts/activities you're breaking the rule and might have your privileges taken away.
2) Follow the Digital Citizenship Pledge that students will sign in class. Most important: Be SAFE and be KIND.
There are videos I've posted on Edmodo for students to learn more and to teach them how to use. I will explain everything on Tuesday at Computer Lab :)
Technology Corner: TYPING PRACTICE
Did you know our new Common Core State Testing will ALL be done ONLINE?? This year students will complete the Computerized Testing online as "practice." All teachers got to try out this new test and what was incredibly apparent was that students need to know how to TYPE...or at least have a very efficient method of pecking ;)
As a 1 to 1 Teacher, my class has the privilege to work with their own Chromebooks (laptops)! We should be able to use these beginning in May and I plan on allowing my students to get as much benefit from them as possible before the end of the year!
SO...students should absolutely practice typing beginning NOW :) It definitely counts as Extra Credit Technology Activities! A great resource is www.typingclub.com. Try it out students and remember...keep your hands on the home row! :)