USI 5 Colonization
USI 5a Reasons for Colonization
- Roanoke Island- (Lost Colony) was established as an *economic venture (in present day North Carolina)
- Jamestown Settlement- first *permanent English settlement in North America (1607). It was an economic venture by the Virginia Company (Virginia)
- Plymouth Colony was settled by separatists from the Church of England who wanted to avoid religious *persecution. (located in Massachusetts)
- Massachusetts Bay Colony - settled by the Puritans to avoid religious persecution. (located in Massachusetts)
- Pennsylvania - settled by the Quakers, who wanted freedom to practice their faith without *interference.
- Georgia - settled by people who had been in *debtor's prisons in England. They hoped to experience economic freedom and start a new life in the New World.
*See terms to know for definition
Terms to Know:
Economic - way to make money $$$$
Persecution - punishment
Debt - to owe money
Debtor - person in debt
Interference - something that gets in your way
Puritan - were a group of English Reformed Protestants in the 16th and 17th centuries who sought to purify the Church of England from all Roman Catholic practices, maintaining that the Church of England was only partially reformed.
Separatist - Pilgrims - wanted to separate from the Church of England