Diabetes: Type 1
By Kaye Kaneko
Diabetes Type 1
Glycated Hemoglobin (A1C) Test - this blood test shows your average blood sugar level for the past 2-3 months. An A1C level > 6.5% on two separate tests indicates that you have diabetes. An A1C between 5.7% - 6.4% indicates pre-diabetes. And anything below 5.7% is considered as normal.
Random Blood Sugar Test - A random blood sugar test will be taken, regardless of when you last ate. A test result of 200mg/dL (11.1mmol/L) or higher suggests diabetes.
Fasting Blood Sugar Test - A blood sample will be taken after an overnight fast. A test result of 126mg/dL (7mmol/L) or higher on two separate tests indicate diabetes. A result of 100-125mg/dL (5.6-6.9mmol/L) is considered as pre-diabetes. And results of less than 100mg/dL (5.6mmol/L) is considered as normal.
Your doctor may also perform these tests:
Oral Glucose Tolerance Test
Other Lab Tests
Research Right Now
These are the Rapid-Acting Insulins:
- Insulin Lispro (aka Humalog)
- Insulin Glulisine (aka Apidra)
- Insulin Aspart (aka Novolog)
These are the Long-Acting Insulins:
- Insulin Glargine (aka Lantus)
- Insulin Detemir (aka Levemir)
There are also Short-Acting, Intermediate-Acting, and Pre-Mixed Insulins available.
What to Do:
Eat At Regular Intervals - Eating on a schedule can help control your average blood sugar, and can help prevent blood sugar spikes or falls.
Eat Small Meals More Often - Eating smaller meals 5-6 times a day instead of big meals 2-3 times a day is a much better solution for Diabetics. These smaller meals help balance your blood sugar throughout the day, and helps
Follow Normal Nutritional Guidelines - You are like everyone else, just with Diabetes. Eat the recommended daily values for vegetables, fruits, carbohydrates, fats, dairy, etc. Just be more mindful about the amount of sugar, carbs and fats you are consuming. And also be aware of your proportions, especially if you are eating at timed interval meals.
Try Artificial Sweeteners - Since artificial sweeteners do not affect your blood sugar, switching regular sugars to artificial ones in cooking, baking and as additives may help balance your blood sugar. But be careful of their ingredients and calories: some may be better for you than others.
Watch out for:
Carbohydrates! - Carbs have the greatest impact on blood sugar compared to Protein and Fats. Count those Carbs! Be sure to know and check how many carbs are in what you just ate, and use insulin accordingly.
Sugars! - Simple sugars, especially in drinks, are quick to spike your blood sugar; so be careful. Avoid concentrated sweets like soda, candy, pastries and overall processed foods.
Low Blood Sugar! - Low Blood Sugar can be extremely dangerous and bad for your health. Make sure to eat each meal on time, and eat proper proportions. Also, make sure you are going to use the correct dosage of insulin before/after you've eaten.
High Blood Sugar! - High Blood Sugar can be just as unhealthy for you as Low Blood Sugar can. Be careful of the amount you eat, and when you eat. Make sure to use the correct dosage of insulin before/after you've eaten.
Physical Therapy / Exercise
- Exposure to certain Viruses
- Can also be caused by having Vitiligo or Grave's Disease
Living With Diabetes Type 1
If you use a syringe (standard medical syringe) to inject the Insulin into you, you will need to be conscious of when to re-stock, throw away and where to put them. Also be aware of air bubbles when you are putting the insulin in. Test your blood regularly.
If you are using an Insulin injection pen (A pen which has multiple pre-settings for convenience and accuracy when injecting insulin), be aware of your insulin supply and needles. Test your blood regularly.
If you are using the Insulin Pump ( A pump which is hooked up to a small and compact machine that regularly supplies insulin into your body and can be programmed accordingly for maximum accuracy and regulation), be conscious of the cord that is hooked to the machine and yourself, be aware of the Insulin gauge and test your blood regularly.
Living with Diabetes, you can never donate blood.
World Diabetes Day (WDD)
Friday, Nov. 14th 2014 at 12am
All Over The Globe
There are many types of Insulin that Diabetics need to use to control their blood glucose levels daily.
Diabetes Type 1 is rare with only 5%-10% of people with diabetes having Type 1. The other 90%-95% have Diabetes Type 2.
Checking Your Blood Sugar
Checking your blood sugar is a crucial part of a Diabetic's life. The blood sugar level indicates if you need to inject some insulin or if you need to eat something.