Microwave Project

April 7, 2016 Period 8 By: Alex Chavez

What Microwaves Are and How They Work

"Microwaves are devices that use radio waves at a specifically set frequency to agitate water molecules in food. As these water molecules get increasingly agitated they begin to vibrate at the atomic level and generate heat."

How To Use A Microwave Saftley

This is how to use a microwave safely:

  • "Thaw food using the defrost button on your microwave."
  • "Remove food from packaging before defrosting. Do not use foam trays and plastic wraps because they are not heat stable at high temperatures."
  • "Cook meat, poultry, egg casseroles and fish immediately after defrosting in the microwave oven. During defrosting in the microwave, food heats up and can cause bacteria that may be present to start multiplying."
  • "Cover foods with a lid or a microwave-safe plastic wrap to hold in moisture and provide safe, even heating."
  • "After reheating foods in the microwave oven, allow the food to "stand." Then, use a clean food thermometer to check that food has reached 165°F."

Microwave Do's Tips

  • "Do cover containers with plastic wrap, paper towels, wax paper, or a lid."
  • "Do use microwave-safe containers to cook or heat food or liquids."
  • "Do clean the inside of the door and the cavity after every use."
  • "Do read and follow the instructions on prepackaged foods you’re going to cook or reheat."

Microwave Don'ts Tips

  • "Don't put metal or foil items in the microwave.""
  • "Don't turn your appliance on if it’s empty."
  • "Don't try to use your appliance for cooking if a) the door won’t close properly. b) the door is bent or warped. c) the latch is broken or faulty."
  • "Don't use plastic containers such as salad boxes, margarine bowls, whipped topping containers, and the like."

Other Microwave information

"Exposure to high levels of microwaves can cause a painful burn. The lens of the eye is particularly sensitive to intense heat, and exposure to high levels of microwaves can cause cataracts. Likewise, the testes are very sensitive to changes in temperature. Accidental exposure to high levels of microwave energy can alter or kill sperm, producing temporary sterility."