First Issue - Weekly Kindergarten News
CURRICULUM NEWS for WEEK TWO
WORD WALL WORDS:
- I, a, at
- Color Word - red
- Establishing Routines for Reader's Workshop
- Discover the importance of reading
- Identifying letter names and sounds
- Write by using pictures or words
- Write by using letters to represent words
- Use a variety of materials for writing
- Number sense: Reading, writing, and representing 0 - 5 (one-to-one correspondence, matching sets to their numeral, counting to a set number)
- Science Tools & The 5 Senses
- Rules & their purposes
Preview the Red Song!
Weekly Math Homework
Monday - Practice counting 0-30 (by rote)
Tuesday - Practice identifying numbers 0-5 using flash cards (you can write numbers on index cards)
Wednesday - Practice putting the number flash cards in order 0-5 (mix up the cards, then have your child put them in order)
Thursday - Practice writing numbers 0 - 5 correctly
Friday - No homework
*After student math assessments are complete (mid to late October), the kindergarten teachers will send math homework that is on level and above level. If your child has mastered 0-5 then you can increase the numbers written above.
IMPORTANT DATES TO REMEMBER
Curriculum Night (1st - 5th grades only)
Monday, August 28th - Kindergarten Assessment Day (detailed info will be coming from your child's teacher)
Monday, September 5th - No School
Lunch in kindergarten...
Several Important Reminders:
- Sign in & out at the front office
- Please sit with your child (only) at a designated "Visitor's Table". These tables are located by the windows looking outside.
- Kindergarten lunch starts at 10:30.
- Please allow your child to walk independently back to his/ her classroom once lunchtime is complete.
These are a few of my favorite things!
Do you want to know your teacher's favorite things?
Questions to ask your child after school to get a conversation started.