This Is How We Lakeview
Happy New Year!
Welcome back and Happy New Year! It is hard to believe that we are officially over halfway through the school year!
Interim grades for Trimester 2 will be posted by the end of the day today. Please login to Infinite Campus to view your student's progress. Keep in mind that interims are just a snapshot of how your student is doing halfway through the trimester and the interim grade does not factor into their GPA. It is just a "keep doing what you are doing" or "you need to make some changes" look at how the students are performing. If your student receives an "I" or "incomplete" it is due to the fact that the teacher does not have enough work from the student to give an accurate picture of where they are at in their learning. This may be due to absences, quarantine, or a large amount of missing assignments. If this is the case, please reach out to the teacher to see what your student needs to do to resolve the incomplete. They have 2 weeks to take care of the missing work.
In case you missed this in Pickerington Magazine, this article is about 2 of our art students. https://www.cityscenecolumbus.com/communities/pickerington/student-artists-get-creative-expressing-their-personalities/
We have had several phone calls asking about the RV that was parked in the Lakeview parking lot on Tuesday and Thursday. We looked into this and it belongs to one of the bus drivers at Petermann. We have requested that it not be parked in our lot.
Just a reminder, students should bring a refillable water bottle to school as our water fountain mouth pieces have been turned off. We have bottle filling stations that they may use throughout the day. Students may also purchase a bottle of water through our vending machines for $1.25.
iReady Second Diagnostic
Welcome back from break. We hope you had the opportunity to celebrate the holidays and new year. Beginning January 11th through January 29th, we will be administering the i-Ready Diagnostic test for Reading and i-Ready or ALEKS Diagnostic test for Math. The Diagnostic test is important because it helps us identify what your student knows and what they need to learn.
Please see the attached letter for more information.
Looking for Outstanding Central Ohio Teachers
Columbus Magazine and ThisWeek Community News are looking for nominations for their eighth Teachers of the Year awards.
The awards, presented by Columbus Parent and ThisWeek Community News, recognize outstanding educators across Central Ohio at the elementary, middle and high school levels. Typically, 15 finalists and three winners are named. These teachers are featured in the Teachers of the Year special section in the Summer issue of Columbus Parent, as well as in ThisWeek editions where the teachers work/live.
Nominations can be made at columbusparent.com/teachers or thisweeknews.com/teachers, and on each publication's home page. Note that the deadline is Jan. 14. Please view the attached letter for more information.
NEW! VIRTUAL ATTENDANCE EMAILS
Second Payment for Pay to Participate due January 29th
Please refer to the Board of Education Policy 2432.04 AG for more information.
- Payments may be made by check, money order, cash, or credit card. Make checks payable to Pickerington Local School District. Payments may be made in one or two installments. School buildings will announce the times and places to make payments.
- All school fees from previous years must be paid in full in order to participate.
- A returned (NSF) check or non-payment will render the student ineligible to participate (including practice) until the fee is paid in full. An additional fee will be assessed for a returned check. Payments for returned checks may be made by money order, cash, or credit card.
- Students participating in athletics, co-curricular activities, theatre, and music may not participate in practice, contests, or even scrimmages until the payment is received or arrangements for payment have been made.
- Students who do not pay a minimum of 50% by the first payment date and do not pay their fees in full by the second payment date, will be removed from all participation until the payment is made.
- High school students participating in two or more sports in the same season will pay the standard fee ($275) for the first sport and $140 for any subsequent sports in the same season.
New Horizons - Suicide Prevention Program
Pickerington Schools are again partnering with New Horizons Mental Health Services to provide the SOS: Signs of Suicide Prevention Program to Lakeview students. Please see the attached letter for more information about the presentations, including information about the depression screening tool used by New Horizons.
The next presentations will take place in all of Ms. Bowden's 8th grade Science classes on Monday, January 11th (Cohort A) and Thursday, January 14th (Cohort B).
Feel free to contact Mr. Max or Mrs. Geiger if you have any questions about this program.
The Community Corner
- We know that what happened in Washington D.C. this week brings about a lot of emotions for Lakeview students and families. Here are some resources you can use to help your child process through what they know, think, and think they know about what took place in Washington D.C. this week.
- Dr. Arianna Howard of RadicalLearningSpaces and Plant-A-Seed Educational Consulting spoke to the staff regarding building culture and how our upbringings shape our expectations and perceptions of other cultures. Staff talked about majority and minority culture and how our students can be impacted by how our school culture does or does not reflect their own cultural values and norms.
- Working with her this past Wednesday fits right in with the work we have begun with our students through our Social Justice MTSS. This coming Wednesday, January 13th, Lakeview administration and counselors will fully introduce the staff to the MTSS and gather ideas about how all of us can work together to help to fully implement the supports for our students, our families, and ourselves.
Updates from the Family Feedback Form
We have not received any feedback since the most recent newsletter at the start of Winter Break.
The Lakeview Family Feedback Form
Sign up for Meals on Virtual Days
Breakfast and lunch are free for ALL students on their virtual days!
The deadline to sign up for the week is Monday by 10am. If you would like to receive breakfast and lunch for the days your student is virtual, please click on the correct link to sign up. Remember that you need to sign up for this every week.
Virtual Learning Academy link - https://forms.gle/GDUD99SzVPxeKmG66
Cohort A link https://forms.gle/M3tMsDDnUdk12PWq8
Cohort B link https://forms.gle/51mAnzb5Mqbjs9Xv7