Shinies Love Letter #4
Consistency. Efficiency. Ownership.
IC 2014 in Taiwan
I never imagined that I will have this experience. Ever. I remember when I was running for LCP, Joshua Lim told me to include IC as one of my milestone if I pass. Now I understand why he said so. I literally SEE the 'international platform' that this organisation provides us and the impact of the leadership that AIESEC develops. The feeling is AMAZING.
I was overwhelmed when I came back from IC. Although immediately drowned into work and team management issue, I was grateful that it was YOU. Frankly, I wouldn't be the 'me' today if not for the experience that you have provided me, booth good and bad, individually and as a team. Deep down, I think I have developed this love for this family that I am willing to sacrifice quite a lot of things. I also have come to love this LC a lot.
My Support System
We LCPs all agreed that NEB was a getaway for all of us. Not from work, but for our mental and self reflection aspect. We often are very stressed and worry for our EBs, members, LC and other stakeholders on top of handling crisis back in the LCs. Being very transparent, I sometimes become emotional over certain actions or words, but I know being LCP, I have to be the 'wonderwall' of the whole LC. I'm really happy to see the changes in some of you, knowing that my good intention and effort is appreciated. Thank you.
IC 2014 in Taiwan
My Support System
We have been working hard this quarter focusing on education, executing our plans, tracking and managing our members. Have you stopped amidst of all the busy-ness and hectic schedule and ponder what was the result of our time, effort and passion combined? More importantly, why are we tiring ourselves for.
Last week, I realised that I have been becoming less productive, frustrated with myself and unclear of my direction in executing my role as LCP. After some self reflection, I'm now much clearer than before and I couldn't agree more that it is super duper essential to be really honest with our direction, needs and wants in life. I also realised that amongst us, some of us are straying away, losing motivation and purpose in doing what we do.
Despite that, I am really happy that we have come this far, hopefully still keeping up the positive attitude and willingness to learn. All of this wouldn't be possible without each other's support and sense of accountability for each other and this LC. I couldn't emphasise more on the importance of having a clear purpose and determination in continuing on with the remaining 76.71% journey of intense challenge and self-discovery.
Of course, I feel that we could have achieved so much more if we have done and not done certain things. It's not too late to reflect, review and improve on ourselves, right. It's a matter of whether we want it badly enough or not.
Looking at the percentage realisation of the entire term goal, we are still way behind and need to catch up fast. Focus programmes or not, let's do our very best. Nothing is impossible when we set our mind to it.
One thing to note is that, looking at Q3 performance, do we need to change how we're doing things? Is there anything we can do to significantly increase our process efficiency and effectiveness? Sometimes it's not about optimising our processes, it's about revamping the entire system to what works best. Be bold, take risks.
NEB #2 Output (summarised)
- SWOT of Q3- Q3 Performance Review
- IC Bring Back
- Q4 and Q1 Focus and Plans
- MC-LC Feedback
SWOT of Q3
- 15 delegates in IC
- Entity partnerships
- physical touch point, MC to LC support (eg. MRD)
- Action driven + Relationship between MC+LCPs
- Crisis management
- Clear product packaging
- LCs have focus programmes
- Corporate support (eg. Unilever)
- Constant communication from MC to LC (newsletter)
- Tracking & implementation
- Lack of planning
- Lack of strategies to drive productivity
- LC relying too much on MC
- Lack of empowerment to the LCPs and EBs
- Website, digital marketing
- Last minute
- The understanding of Inner and outer journey is not strong in TLP, hence lead to lack of implementation on inner and outer journey to EPs.
- Nothing on process optimisation to be seen
- Decision making without data and rush in time
- External alignment
- Lack of clarity of why
- Lack of communication (TM & iGCDP)
- ASEAN 2015
- Government focus on youth
- CEEDership opportunity
- APLS (Penang development)
- MSC relationship & contact
- Iskandar development
- University management
- Youth interested to go abroad
- Product diversification
- Technology advancement - automation & reach out
- Untapped Public Relations opportunity
- Retention rate (due to optimisation of men power)
- Alumni who are not aligned
- iGCDP VISA
- Academic timeline
- Bad experiences in some companies might create branding crisis
- Our competitor - career offices & other youth initiatives
- Legality of the organisation (eg. MoU)
The AIESEC Way
This organisation has existed for 66 years now. But do we really know the roots of AIESEC and how it impacts our lives? Let's go back to the fundamentals.
It is so so so important that being leaders in any organisation to understand the company's history, impact model and values AND relate/personalise it with our own's. If we fail to find that strong connection, we eventually fail to fulfill our fullest potential and your effort will go to waste.
I encourage you to read more about it here and perhaps find a really strong reason that you are proud of. I'm not sure if any company has such a booklet explaining their purpose of existence, vision, how to achieve them, etc so detailedly. AIESEC is one good example to emulate if you were to start your own company.
The AIESEC Way consists of 5 elements:
- What is AIESEC
- Our impact
- The Way We Do It
Leadership Development Model
- Self awareness
- Effective communication
- Responsible for the world
In every thing that we do now on, do incorporate these three elements in order to develop the leaders that the world NEEDS.
Q4 Focus and Plans
3 National Focus
- oGCDP Winter Peak (SU, CU, TU, UTP)
- iGTP Sales Boost
- Customer Flow & GIS
1. What's our winter peak (Jan-Mar 2015) goal?
2. What are the strategies?
EPRD Sept, EPRD Nov, Global Village in Oct, Outcampus EPRD
3. Which are the focus countries?
Mainland of China, Taiwan, Vietnam, Indonesia, Romania, Korea
4. Who are our focus target audience?
1st and 2nd year degree students.
- Outgoing Preparation Seminar (OPS) and Incoming Preparation Seminar (IPS) alignment - meaning OGX and ICX have to set clear expectations and partnership agreement to deliver the desired EP experience
- monthly meeting with TN manager
- Promotion of projects will be focused on values (what can EP get from specific TN form)
- requires effort to obtain details about the projects to promote to EPs directly
3. EP LEAD Framework and Delivery
- Collaboration between Malaysia, Vietnam and The Philippines
- Idea concept: similar to GIP but unpaid/minimal salary internship and shorter duration (3-6 months)
- Aim to launch in winter peak
- Jayson Chia is working on it
- Targeted to contribute to 10% of national iGIP realisation goal
- new pricing structure
2. ASEAN Project (National project)
- Collaboration with Thailand and Cambodia
2. MC Director (Jane) to provide EP contract SOP and matchability guideline
1. MyLDS 2015
- UPM, Serdang
- 21-26th January 2015
- 3 tracks (Junior, senior, EP)
2. EP LEAD
- support oGCDP and iGIP in LEAD framework (and delivery if needed)
3. Performance Management System (PMS)
- to be implemented in each department
Marketing & Communication
2. Internal Communication (by Jayson Sue)
3. SOP/Guideline for customer flow and GIS (by Ming Yu)
4. Clarity of WHY and HOW campaign
5. Product understanding material and handbook
Finance & Legalities
2. Travel cost sharing model
3. Election framework and MCP election
4. National functional training
2. Go through The AIESEC Way toolkit
3. Update Shinies 101 & MC-LC Tracker every Sunday night
4. Manage own departmental tracker consistently
5. Start AMAN report
6. Start living C.E.O. and R.I.O.T.
7. Be prepared to unlearn and relearn during LLDS
8. Block 6th October 2014 (Public Holiday) for Shinies Team Day! :D
9. LCP to have Personal Development Talk with each VP (will inform on slots booking soon)
10. Take some time off to self reflect.