Fourth Grade News
Mrs. Spencer's Class - Week of 12/7
This week and next, third and fourth graders are completing the OLPA for Reading and Math. This will provide us with information to make instructional decisions as to how to best help our learners make growth.
Please see below for updates and key objectives for our week ahead!
Updates & Announcements:
Chip Shoppe Fundraiser Pick Up: The orders are in for the Chip Shoppe fundraiser. The PTA is looking for help to make the order pick up as smooth as possible on Monday, December 14th from 3-6 PM in the media center. Visit the Sign Up Genius volunteer page if you can help for an hour. Thank you for your time!
Shopko Help us Give Back Program: Recognizing that education is fundamental to an individual’s health and functionality in society, the Shopko Foundation has developed the Help Us Give Back program to provide critical support to schools across the country, while raising awareness to the budgetary challenges many districts face. During the holiday season, we encourage your community to join in the support and Help Us Give Back.
The Shopko Hometown Foundation will donate up to $2,000 to your local School District. Customers who visit your neighborhood Shopko Hometown between December 1st and December 24th can simply sign their name to show their support; no donation or purchase required. Each signature will count towards a $1 donation to your School District, up to $2,000.
Thank you for your continued support. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact your local Shopko Hometown store manager.
Classroom Cookbook - Recipes due NEXT Tuesday, 12/15
Steps for Success:
1.) Select a favorite family recipe. It can be an appetizer, salad, main dish, dessert…your call!
2.) Type the recipe at home. Please have an adult proofread your typing and be sure to check spelling and formatting! Include your name!
3.) You may add clip art or a picture to accompany your recipe. Just remember, the cookbook will be printed in black and white!
4.) Print your recipe to return to Mrs. Spencer OR send Mrs. Spencer a copy as both a Word/Google document and a PDF if possible (to preserve formatting!) **Let Mrs. Spencer know if you’re unable to type your recipe at home.
5.) Recipes are due by Tuesday, December 15th in order for the class cookbook to reach the printing press & to be returned before the holiday break! Have fun & happy cooking!
This Week's Objectives:
- We are reading selections in our December issue of Storyworks and practicing the skills of inferring and determining main idea and details.
- We are studying Jan Brett holiday books.
- We are continuing our read aloud novel, Hachiko Waits.
- We are building reading stamina and practicing CAFE (Comprehension, Accuracy, Fluency, Expanding Vocabulary) strategies for reading.
- We are comparing and ordering decimals through the thousandths place (tenths, hundredths, and thousandths).
- We are using a table of data to answer questions.
- We are adding and subtracting with decimals.
- We are solving multiplication and division facts.
- **Remind your child to keep up the fact practice at home!! Building speed and accuracy with facts is essential.**
Science & Social Studies:
- We are reviewing light and sound and leading into a study of electricity and circuits!
- Students are researching a state and writing state reports.
Please encourage IXL use at home! Even 15 minutes a week will help your child build skills!
Wishing you a wonderful week!
Please contact me with any questions or comments.