Fourth Grade News
Mrs. Spencer's Class - Week of 2/8
Students did a fantastic jobs with our roots & vocabulary work this week - despite the short week. The next Study Guide will come home this evening. All roots & vocabulary terms for this week and upcoming weeks are also attached to this email. A reminder of each day's expectations are included below:
Monday: Write each root and meaning 5x each.
Tuesday: Write each vocabulary words and definition. Underline the vocabulary words & verbally share a sentence for each with an adult!
Wednesday: Use each vocabulary word correctly in a sentence in writing.
Thursday: Study with an adult. On the test, students are expected to know the meaning of each root and the definition of each vocabulary word.
Thanks for your support of this important program! We love seeing how students' vocabularies expand through building an understanding of Greek & Latin roots.
Math Games with 2nd Grade Buddies
Updates & Announcements:
Author Visit: On March 3, illustrator and author Mike Wohnoutka will visit KMES. He has some fantastic books! Available books are featured above. Attached is an order form to purchase one of his signed books. Orders are due 2/11. We look forward to his visit!
Walkathon on FRIDAY: Students should wear BLUE & PINK on Friday for our 4th grade Walkathon. Our class will be leading due to bringing in the most donations!! Thanks for your generosity and support of this initiative!
Scholastic Book Orders: February Scholastic book orders are due this Friday. Orders may be submitted online (code: HYTRX) or by bringing cash or a check made out to Scholastic to class. Students can pick up a coupon from me today for a free book worth up to $5 when you spend $10 or more. Note: there are additional titles available online that are not in the flyers. Happy Reading!
K-M Science Fair: Science Fair idea/permission slips can be brought back whenever your child determines a project idea. You may also email me to let me know your child is participating. Be sure to check out http://www.sciencebuddies.org/ for ideas & resources! Please let me know how I can help.
Valentine's Day Party on Friday:
Our Valentine’s Day party is THIS Friday. Your child may make or bring in a valentine box or bag from home beginning on Thursday. Please see below for class list!
Many thanks for your donations for the dice game! We are sure to have a fantastic party!
Please remind your child to bring a baby picture of him- or herself by Friday to be used for our baby picture guessing game! Thanks!
National Symbols Project:
THANKS FOR YOUR DONATIONS TO OUR KOMETS VS. CANCER CHANGE DRIVE! WE LED THE GRADE LEVEL!
This Week's Objectives:
- We are learning about several presidents in anticipation of Presidents' Day.
- We are studying new roots & vocabulary terms.
- We are reading and discussing Amelia and Eleanor Go For a Ride, a story about Amelia Earhart & Eleanor Roosevelt.
- We are building reading stamina and practicing CAFE (Comprehension, Accuracy, Fluency, Expanding Vocabulary) strategies for reading.
- We are drawing and measuring angles with a full circle protractor.
- We are reviewing lines, line segments, and rays.
- We are classifying angles according to their measure (acute, right, obtuse, straight, and reflex).
- We are using ordered number pairs to locate points on a map.
- We are solving multidigit multiplication and multidigit division problems.
- We are building our speed and accuracy with basic multiplication and division facts.
Science & Social Studies:
- We are learning about human body systems and our bodies' defenses for germs.
- Students are continuing their study of states and national symbols.
4th Grade Basketball Championship Day!
Encourage IXL Use at Home for Practice & Enrichment!
Wishing you a wonderful week!
Please contact me with any questions or comments.