The Teal Times
Cox Mill HS - Student Support Services (S3) - 12.16.20
Wellness Wednesday Topic: Holidays Can Be Stressful
While some of us look forward to the holidays, some of us don't celebrate or the holiday season can make us feel isolated...still others celebrate but worry over strained relationships or other family issues (ex. addictions) that can make the holidays difficult. This year, in particular, many of us will find ourselves having a lot of emotions about traditions that we are missing (ex. family gatherings) because of COVID.
What coping strategies can you use during the holiday season?
- Acknowledge your feelings - It's okay to feel sad or anxious.
- Reach out - Seek virtual (or in person if possible) connections with trusted friends & family
- Be realistic - Don't expect perfection from the holiday season; find moments that are perfect instead.
- Set aside differences - Take a time out from disagreeing over politics or other hot button issues so you can better enjoy each other's company.
- Stick to a budget - Finances can be a huge worry for many during the holidays, especially now. Be gracious with each other when it comes to gift giving expectations.
- Plan ahead - If a particular tradition is not going to happen this year, try substituting something new for now. Shop ahead, bake ahead, and plan ahead for filling the holes that distance creates.
- Learn to say no - It's okay to ask friends to "pause" gift exchanges until next year when things are better or decline an invitation because you know social distancing isn't going to happen at an event.
- Don't abandon health habits - This is especially important as we all try to keep our immune systems healthy and strong during the pandemic.
- Take a breather - If family drama is getting to you, put on your headphones and go for a walk. Chances are things will be calmer when you return. (Remember to use the techniques we have been learning in our SEL lessons.)
- Seek professional help if you need it - Even during the holidays, professional support is available at Hope4 NC.
Holiday Cheer from CMHS Staff - Favorite or Wacky?
Study Strategies for Final Exams
Faculty Fun Fact
Student Art Gallery
Multimedia Self Portrait Project
Interlocking Sculpture (project made with cardboard, printer paper, and markers)
Actual Paper Texture Project (creating different textures with paper)