The Wonderful Whales
*******Miss Vananzo's Super Team: January 4*******
Thank You Room Parents for Organizing Our Winter Party
News from Room 25.
Swimming Through a Great Week!
In reading/spelling we...
- listen to a version of the Gingerbread Man.
- participated in a readers' theater of the Gingerbread Man to practice our reading fluency and expression.
- created a gingerbread glyph to share information with our teammates our ourselves.
- proofread holiday sentences
- reviewed the meanings of synonyms, antonyms and homophones
- talked about the author's purpose for writing different texts
- sorted adjectives, nouns, and verbs
In math we:
- talked about ordinal position words: (1st, 2nd, etc) when we listened to the 12 Days of Christmas
- designed a tree by using coordinates on a grid
- solved story problems with a holiday them
Ocean of Events
- School Store Thursdays - 2nd & 3rd grade:
Clubs/Enrichment at JES:
· **Young Rembrandts drawing classes for Grades 1-5 on Mondays, 4-5pm, starting Jan. 25th – registration links/info coming this week* (Sponsored by JES PTA)
**Bricks4Kidz Lego classes for Kindergarten to Gr. 3 on Fridays, 4-5pm, starting Jan. 22nd –registration links/info coming this week* (Sponsored by JES PTA)
Contact: Whitney Leber – WEPLeber@comcast.net
- Jan. 15, 9:30am – PTA Monthly Meeting – all welcome (WEPLeber@comcast.net
- Jan. 18 – Schools and Offices Closed – Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr’s. Birthday Observed
- Jan. 19 – Schools Closed for Students – Professional Development for Staff
- Jan. 20 – BOOK DRIVE begins for gently used or new children’s and young adult/YA books (PTA Outreach)
- By Jan. 31: Order your 2015-16 YEARBOOK ($25) at www.jostensyearbooks.com - search for Jacksonville Elementary in Phoenix, MD. Contact: Amy Bachran -abachran@gmail.
- Jan. 12, 6:30pm: BCPS Board of Educ. Public Hearing on FY17 Operating Budget, Heat Policy, and Superintendent’s Contract @ Greenwood Campus (snow date 1/20)
- Jan. 13, 10am-12pm: Understanding Anxiety and How to Help Your Anxious Child (at White Oak School - 8401 Leefield Road, Baltimore, MD 21234) – free workshop sponsored by BCPS Special Education Resource Center – to register, email@example.com or call 410-887-5443
Catch of the Week
- Thank you so much for the most general gift card to Chili's. I just love that restaurant
- Please talk with you Wonderful Whale to see if they are in need of glue sticks and pencils. I will check the supplies they have in their lockers to see what they may need.
- Thank you so much for the donations of tissues and wipes. These really do come in handy and I like to wipe down the desks each day.
- This week I will begin to teach the strokes needed for cursive writing; down curve, slant, over curve and under curve. After we learn the strokes, we will begin to work on the lower case letters first. This will take time. Sometimes the students get a little frustrated at first with cursive because they think they will learn the letters quickly. I encourage The Whales to use the formations I model to write the letters. These are the lower case letters I will begin with: i, t, u, w, e, l, b, h, s, k, r, f,
Sea Star of the Week: Colton
Here are a few of his favorites:
Places to go: Disney World and Grammy's House
Books: Robots and Diary of a Wimpy Kid
Songs: Superbeast and Creeper Rap
Movie: Jurassic Park
Things I Like to Do in the Community: Play soccer and baseball
Like to Do at School: learn, play at recess and read
It's a Whale of a Word
Our word of the week is:
Definition: a promise that you make to yourself to start doing something good or stop doing something bad at the beginning of a new year.
Sentence: In class we will talk about the New Year's resolutions we would like to make.
**If you bring the word of the week into class written on a piece of paper and tell how many syllables it has you will receive two "I Caught You" coupons.
Gym: Monday and Friday
If your child wears any type of boots to school, please be sure they bring tennis shoes on gym days.
Library Books are Due Each Wednesday
Let's see if we can get 100% of our class to return their books on Wednesday. We can do it.
Dive Into Reading Program
This week I will be placing the January forms for the Dive into Reading program in your child's folder. Please be sure to sign each form and have your child turn them in to receive their rewards. This program will run until the middle of April. If your child reads for 1,000 minutes, please continue to encourage them to keep reading to add up their minutes until the end of the program.