January 13, 2016
There is a lot going at at Jackson this week! There was a little college rivalry going on today as many Jackson students and teachers wore college shirts for College and Career Week at Jackson. Every morning this week on Jag Tube, students have been able to hear about different colleges and universities from Jackson teachers and hear what "an education" means to some of our Jackson parents and students.
Jackson Science Fair
The Science and Engineering Fair results are in!
3rd place: Xavier Brown
2nd place: Afroze Shajahan
1st place: Owen Baggett
3rd place: Lesly Pena
2nd place: Carson Gill
1st: Michelle Lee & Morena Lopez
Grand Prize: Owen Baggett
Owen will take his project to the Elementary Regional Science Fair in Garland on February 1 and 2. Good luck, Owen, and congratulations to all our participants!
The Texas Education Agency Has Released 2014-2015 School Report Cards
The State of Texas 2014-2015 School Report Card for Jackson Elementary has now been released, and posted to the Jackson Elementary website. This is a report required by the Texas Legislature and prepared by the Texas Education Agency. The report provides information concerning student performance on the State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness (STAAR), as well as information on student enrollment, class size averages, and financial expenditures. The information contained in the School Report Card is required by state law and is briefly described in the “School Report Card Definitions.” If you have any questions concerning the School Report Card, please let us know. Thank you for your continued support of Jackson Elementary.
NEWS FROM JACKSON PTA
This year the Jackson PTA will also send a monthly eNewsletter with additional information. To receive the eNewsletter, simply login to the site and accept the terms & conditions for electronic communications.
Author Steve Swinburne Visits Jackson
The PTA, in collaboration with the Jackson Library, is happy to welcome author Steve Swinburne on January 27th!
Steve loves to travel and observe nature and wildlife. He has traveled the world and loves to share! A safari in Africa, hiking in Scotland, monitoring sea turtles on a Georgia island, a winter trek through Yellowstone have all led to just a few of his book projects.
Check out more on Steve at his website:
We look forward to welcoming him here at Jackson!
January 11-15, College and Career Week at Jackson.
- Career Day at Jackson, assembly for 4th and 5th grade
Monday, January 18 - MLK Birthday Observance (Student/Teacher Holiday)
Friday, January 22 - Spirit Assembly
Wednesday, January 27
- Author visit, Steve Swinburne (see information above for more details)
- A parent education class titled, "What Are Our Children Doing In The Digital Age?" is being offered on Wednesday, January 27, from 6:00-7:00 p.m. in the Jackson Library. Please join other interested parents to discuss ways for us to keep our kids safe in technology. Refreshments and childcare provided. Click on the flyer link for more information. Parent Workshop Flyer - English and Spanish
Overdue Library Books Automated Phone Message
The Jackson Library is now using the School Messenger system to call parents regarding overdue library items or fines. Students who have overdues are contacted as well as students who owe money to the library. The system will be making phone calls once a month on Mondays, and Jackson's librarian, Monika Walker, will receive a report of who was called. If you have any questions, please give Mrs. Walker at call at 469-752-2127 or e-mail her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Parents of PISD students can customize how communications are received from Jackson and Plano ISD by using InfoCenter by SchoolMessenger.
InfoCenter can be accessed by using the email address that is on file for your district (emergency card) and following these three steps:
1. Download the InfoCenter by SchoolMessenger app from the Apple App Store or Google Play Market. You can also access the InfoCenter web portal at https://infocenter.schoolmessenger.com/
2. Click the “New User” button, enter your email address, and create a password. An email will be sent to that address with a secure token. Note: If you receive an “already claimed by another user account” error message that means you’ve already created a SchoolMessenger account via another SchoolMessenger product, such as Contact Manager. Simply follow the “Return to login” link and login. Use the “Forgot your password” link if needed.
3. After authenticating via the token sent to your email, return to InfoCenter and sign in using your email and password.
Our provider, SchoolMessenger, makes the security and privacy of your data a top priority. As one of over 100 approved signatories to Student Privacy Pledge, you can feel ensured that your student’s information is safe and will never be sold, rented or shared.