By Zoie Costello
What is plagiarism?
How do we prevent plagiarism?
We give credit were credit is do. Always make sure to paraphrase a sentence or paragraph or anything you use that is not your own. If you wanna use the authors work and don't wanna paraphrase then use quotations make sure your paper is 50% your work and 50% authors work.
What is some information i would need to cite a website?
- The author.
- The year, and day that the website was published.
- Year, day you went to the website.
- Name of webpage
Citing a website is pretty easy.
What is some information you need to cite a book/article?
- The author
- The year it was published (the copyright date)
- Number of pages
- Title of the book
- Medium (Printed, online .ect)
- Locations of publication
Here is an example of a book citation. All parts of a book citation are highlighted.
Here is an example of a website citation. All parts of a website citation are highlighted.
What is a citation?
A citation is were you give credit to an author after you used there work. There are many different formats to give credit ACS, MLA, APA, mam, and CSE we will be using MLA.
How do I know if a website is credible?
- One of the best ways to tell is by looking at the web address. Usually when a website is credible it will will end in a .gov, .edu, .org. Ones that are not as reliable will end in .com, or .net. The reasons .gov, .edu, and .org are more reliable is because .gov means (government) , .edu means (education) , .org means (orginazation). These domains can not be purchased by just anyone.
- Look for the author make sure there is one. If there is no author listed on the site it's probably not reliable. If there is an author on the site see if he/she seems reliable.
- Spelling and grammar are a big part of seeing if a website is credible almost a dead give away. If there are several spelling mistakes or grammar problems then the odds are they are not a reliable resource.
- The date of when the website was last edited is important. Say the website was lasted edited 3 years ago its a possibility that the information isn't as accurate anymore.
Ebsco Host has a ton of research options for whatever your looking for.
Library of congress.
Library of congress you can find just about anything your looking for this is a prime resource.
Mid-Continent Library database
Mid-Continent library is a great resource has tons of ways to find information. You will need a library card for this one.
Library of congress.
*Easy websites for citing*
How to generate a good research question.
- Think about what do I want to know about my topic.
- Now make that a question.
- Question needs to be clear.
- Ask yourself is this something interesting to others.
- Make sure your questions aren't to specific but not to broad.
When did world war 1 start?
When did world war 1 end?
What is a MLA citation? MLA stands for modern language association. MLA format is common and you will use it in almost everything you will cite. This style will use a two-part documentation system.
What is a in-text citation? This type of citation is simple it just uses abbreviations. You simply put the authors last name and page you found it on.
Example (Laster 6)
wHAT IS PARAPHRASING, QUOTING AND SUMMARIZING?
Original: When on vacation make sure to look at all the attractions.
New: Make sure you always check out cool attractions when on vacation.
Quoting is using the authors words but placing quotation marks around them symbolizing that there not your words.
"Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal."
Summarizing is taking a huge section of text and getting it down to the main idea or the outline of what the text is saying.