September 4, 2015
BLOOM'S TAXONOMY QUESTION STEMS
Question stems can be a powerful part of that process no matter where the learner is.
This site provides 25+ question stems framed around the early, non-revised Bloom’s Taxonomy.
ADAPTIVE LEARNING MINDSETS
MINDSET WEBSITE WITH STUDENT PROJECT IDEAS BY GRADE AND SUBJECT!
- STUDENT ENGAGEMENT
- STUDENT CENTERED PROJECTS AND PROBLEMS OF PRACTICE
What is an adaptive learning mindset?
- To be successful, students must be motivated and resilient - they must choose to learn and to persist even when schoolwork is challenging.
- Research shows that students are more likely to be motivated and resilient if they have adaptive learning mindsets.
- Students with adaptive learning mindsets think about school and about their own abilities in fundamentally different ways from disengaged students - they understand why school is important, they trust their teachers and peers, and they understand that they can grow their abilities by working hard and by trying new strategies when they get stuck.
- Students who don't understand these things don't try as hard and give up quickly.
- When we help students to develop more adaptive learning mindsets, they can stay motivated and resilient.
- In doing so, they can improve academic outcomes.
Select "show filters" to narrow resources down by grade level or content area.
CONSTITUTION DAY 2015
- Per Mr. Wilbanks, GCPS schools should commemorate Constitution Day during the week of September 14- 17, 2015.
- In recognition of Constitution Day, we will be asking teachers and staff to wear RED, WHITE, & BLUE on Thursday, September 17.
- See the email sent by Ms. Rodney on 9/2 for additional information and resources.
All fourth grade students will receive pocket constitutions, titled “The Words that Built America" - state school superintendent Richard Woods would like to have them given to the students on Constitution Day.
Websites with instructional and historical resources:
SEPTEMBER SHARE AND WIN
- September ShareWin contest will be all about Widgets inside the eCLASS C & I tool.
- This month, teachers can submit as a discussion post in the self directed training course a screen shot along with a description of a custom widget they have created.
- This submission makes them eligible for the drawing to win a tablet for their classroom at the end of the month.
- We will also be selecting and highlighting other submissions.
Fernbank Science Center's Just For Teachers Newsletter
In this Issue:
- FSC welcome’s you to the new school year
- Butterfly art contest
- Do you know the last time a meteor struck the Earth?
- Science article of the month
- Astronomy Corner
- And much more...
SEPTEMBER 2015 CALENDAR
SEPTEMBER STAFF BIRTHDAYS
Please be sure to submit items to Valerie by THURSDAY of each week for them to be included in the FRIDAY FLASH.
FALL EXERCISE CLASSES NOW FORMING
- Fall exercise classes will begin soon.
- If you're interested, please email Crystal Knox for details.
KITTENS NEED A HOME!
- Janet Manning has two adorable kittens who need a home - one male, one female.
- Please contact Jennifer Streich if you are interested in giving one, or both, of them a home.