Financial Aid for Seniors
Step 1: Learn about financial aid and find school specific deadlines
- Each University/College has their own deadlines for financial aid and scholarships. Educate yourself on these dates for your schools of choice.
- The earlier you get your Financial Aid and Scholarship applications in, the better.
- While you are finding the deadlines for your schools, also look at their scholarship application information. Many high dollar scholarships through Universities expire before January 1st of your Senior year.
- The Texas priority deadline for the FAFSA this year is January 15, 2019. (NEW)
- Below are some videos with more information about the Financial Aid Process and the different Types of Federal Student Aid
Step 2: Determine if you are eligible for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or Texas Application for State Federal Aid (TASFA)
Most students qualify to fill out the FAFSA
FAFSA Page to determine eligibility: https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/eligibility
Information about the TASFA: https://texasoncourse.org/tools/tasfa/
- TASFA eligibility requires a different process
- For more information about the TASFA please see the website above or come by the Go Center.
Step 3: Apply for your FSA ID
Step 4: Gather required Information
- Determine if you are a dependent or independent student (most high school students are dependents) https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa/filling-out/dependency
- Gather the documentation you need before you fill out the FAFSA. https://fafsa.ed.gov/help/before003.htm
- Determine which parent or parents you will report on your FAFSA. https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa/filling-out/parent-info
Step 5: Fill out the FAFSA/TASFA
If you are filling out the FAFSA https://fafsa.ed.gov/, see the video below.
New this year, you can also fill out the FAFSA from the myStudentAid App, for more information click the link: https://financialaidtoolkit.ed.gov/tk/announcement-detail.jsp?id=fafsa-mobile-options
Step 6: Make sure you list your potential schools on your FAFSA/TASFA
- Follow this link to see if any of your schools require the CSS Profile: https://profile.collegeboard.org/profile/ppi/participatingInstitutions.aspx
- For more information about the CSS Profile: https://cssprofile.collegeboard.org/
- Federal Student Aid Page from the Department of Education https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/
- College for All Texans: http://www.collegeforalltexans.com/
- FSA ID Page https://fsaid.ed.gov/npas/index.htm
- FAFSA Application Page https://fafsa.ed.gov/
- Go Center Page https://www.gcisd.net/cms/one.aspx?pageId=189741
- Texas OnCourse https://texasoncourse.org/students-and-families/goal-finances/
School Specific Scholarships
State and National Scholarships are on a link at the bottom of the above page, you must be logged into your district student google account to access this page.
We are here to help, for one-on-one assistance, there are a variety of options, please see below for how you can get more help with college and career planning, financial aid, and etc.
If you and your student would like to work with a financial specialist from TCC, we will have a FAFSA lab on October 30th in the Library at GHS during GCISD College and Career Night. Be sure to bring all of the documents you will need to fill out the FAFSA, or you can stop by and ask questions.
If you are the first in your family to go to college please make an appointment with the Go Center or your school counselor for help with the college and financial aid application process.
For student individual appointments with the Go Center, please click on the school-specific link below.
GHS Go Center - https://goo.gl/forms/CXgnMVVKXBe47pBt1
CHHS Go Center - https://goo.gl/forms/zQkXQmhRqbUxyHr62
For student individual appointments with a Counselor, please click on the link below for your school.
GHS Counseling - https://ghs.gcisd.net/resources/counseling/counseling_staff/
CHHS Counseling - https://chhs.gcisd.net/cms/One.aspx?portalId=100244&pageId=1202305
Collegiate Academy - Please email your counselor firstname.lastname@example.org
Bridges Accelerated Learning Center - Please email your counselor email@example.com