PTO Meeting Minutes
November 9, 2020
NES PTO General Board Meeting MINUTES
7:30 pm Via Zoom (~14 people in attendance)
1. Principal and Teacher Updates
- Supportive messages from families and parents for the teachers and staff has been huge. Those messages are well received and appreciated; they help us get through the tough days we have sometimes. Thank you to the PTO and to NES community!
- We thank the PTO for organizing the HRC's to do classroom contact lists. It's been great.
2. Treasurer Report
(Specific dollar amounts have been omitted. As always, we discuss the financials in detail at our monthly General PTO Meeting.)
During the month of October the PTO some income from sales of logo wear.
- Expenses paid during October included for the PTO insurance policy renewal covering the period from 11/1/20-10/31/21 and First In Math subscription for all second grade students. Additional monthly recurring expenses for accounting, Smore newsletter, and teacher water cooler were also paid.
- A profit and loss report was prepared for July 1, 2020 - October 31, 2020 and is attached to this report for review. To date, major expenses paid for the year include for NES Programs and for Administrative operations. Income includes unused class dues held over from the 2019-2020 school year and two major refunds from cancelled events from the 2019-2020 school year.
- In July 2020, the Treasurer submitted a renewal application to the PA Dept of Revenue to renew the NES PTO’s Sales Tax exemption status. The PTO Board was notified via email on November 9, 2020 that the application was reviewed and approved by the PA Department of Revenue, effective until March 30, 2025. Receipt of renewal certificate is pending.
- The Form 990 tax return for the fiscal year ended June 30, 2020 was submitted to the IRS on November 9, 2020 and is awaiting acceptance.
- The PNC account was reconciled as of 10/31/20 by the Treasurer (J. Bukowski) and the bank statement and reconciliation were reviewed and approved by the Secretary (C. Gargalovic).
3. Teacher Grants
- We recently received 3 teacher grant requests, all for RAZ Kids.
- We offered RAZ kids as school programming to 1st and 3rd grade. If the 2nd grade would like this as well, we will purchase the program as PTO school programming rather than use the teacher grant money. The teachers would then still have their grant money available to use toward something else.
- TEACHER COMMENT: Last week 2nd grade teachers from around the district met and many teachers from around the district were talking about the program. It sounds amazing. Thank you.
4. Scarecrow Event Feedback
- Kids liked watching the scarecrow slideshow and voting.
- Prizes will be beach towels and a gift card to Chick-Fil-A.
5. Jules Spirit Night
- Mrs. Cannon will send out an email to the staff to promote to the spirit night.
- We can also ask HRC's to send emails to the families on their list.
- Mr. Francis will also add this to his morning announcement.
6. Drive-Thru Donuts
- We use the Krispy Kreme company.
- Parents will order ahead of time and then pick up on Dec. 1 & 4th.
- A form will be be sent home via email and posted on Facebook, etc.
- The district has been very clear that events cannot be held on school property.
7. Logo Wear Sales & Distribution
- We looked into an online store on our PTO webpage - it is possible.
- We are wanting to fill orders and then drop them at the school to be distributed to the teachers to then go home with the students. Is that possible?
- Yes, we will determine a weekly or bi-weekly drop off day.
- As long as orders/family are not too large, then we will send home with the students.
8. KidStuff Books Update
- Our sales were significantly less than in the past.
- The company has extended the sale through the end of the year.
- We will post that information on our weekly Newsletter.
9. Teacher Luncheon
- The dates have been approved.
- Mr. Francis will talk to Mrs. Lavelle personally about specifics.