Word of the Week
Full Definition of DESCRIBE
1: to represent or give an account of in words <describe a picture>
2: to represent by a figure, model, or picture : delineate
3 obsolete : distribute
4: to trace or traverse the outline of <describe a circle>
— de·scrib·able \-ˈskrī-bə-bəl\ adjective
— de·scrib·er noun
Examples of DESCRIBE
- The witness wasn't able to describe the robber.
- He described the house in perfect detail.
- The article describes how the experiment was done.
- She described watching dolphins play beside the ship.
- Please describe what happened next.
- Can you describe the lost dog to me?
- She used a stick to describe a circle on the ground.
Related to DESCRIBE
characterize, define, label, qualify, represent; demonstrate, illustrate; narrate, recite, recount, rehearse, relate, report, tell; display, exhibit, show; hint, suggest; draft, outline, silhouette, trace, vignette; summarize, sum up, touch off; redescribe, reimage