The Sailor Signal
Cottage Lake Elementary - April 17, 2022
A Note from Principal Welch
I hope everyone had a wonderful Spring Break and we are all ready for the final 9 weeks of school. The time will go by quickly and I hope we can make the best of everything we have in store. As you look at the weeks ahead of school, I want to be sure you all know that Friday, May 27 IS a full day of school! This is our snow make-up day. We do have Monday, May 30 off for Memorial Day! Please mark your calendars accordingly.
As we look at the week ahead, those students who are showing gaps in reaching standards in any academic area or behavior will be receiving a progress report home this coming week. They will be MAILED home to families and should be in the mail on Friday, April 22. If you have questions regarding this progress report, do reach out to your classroom teacher or your IEP case manager. We look forward to supporting your student as enter the final stretch of the school year.
I'm looking forward to our time together as we close out the 2021-2022 school year. We still have 9 weeks of school remaining and I'm looking forward to amazing student progress and achievement to celebrate with you!
Please reach out if I can be of additional support.
~ Jen Welch, Principal
•• School News ••
Return to CL family survey
Thank you for responding to this survey ASAP!
Class Picture Day 4/26
Class Pictures will be taken on Tuesday, April 26, 2022.
We are in need of some volunteers for class picture day 9:30AM-12:30PM. If you can volunteer please contact Sarah McKinnon firstname.lastname@example.org or 425-408-4200
We are hoping for nice weather so the pictures can be taken outside. Portrait flyers will be coming home this week.
•• PTA News ••
Save the Date - PTA Auction
Save The Date
For Cottage Lake PTA’s Online Fundraising Auction & In-Person Preview Party
Our biggest fundraiser of the year is back! Our procurement team has been hard at work getting some incredible donations for families to bid on, plus you’ll get a chance to mingle with parents at an in-person preview party.
Theme: Business On Top, Party On The Bottom
ONLINE SILENT AUCTION – May 6 – 14
AUCTION PREVIEW PARTY – Friday, May 13 from 6:00 - 9:00 PM @ 20 Corners Brewing
Invitations with all the details will be sent home in the next few weeks.
Garden Club Volunteers Wanted
Dear Cottage Lake Families,
We are currently looking for volunteers to assist in our school garden. The school garden is a volunteer-run program to engage students in garden science activities, such as planting/watering, scavenger hunts, and harvesting. We are looking for some extra volunteers to help with the garden and our weekly lunchtime Garden Club.
Time commitment: seasonal, drop-in basis.
If interested, please contact email@example.com
•• REPEAT SCHOOL NEWS ••
COVID safety updates
Families can find the most up-to-date COVID health and safety information by clicking the links below.
- King County Quarantine and Isolation Guidance
- Families can access the 2021-2022 NSD COVID-19 Safety Protocols by clicking here.
- Families can access our NSD COVID-19 Data Dashboard by clicking here.
Health Check Question to review daily
Health Check Questions:
1. In the past 24 hours has the student experienced any of the following symptoms:
- Fever of 100.4 or above
- Shortness of Breath or Difficulty Breathing
- Loss of Taste or Smell
- Muscle Pain or Body Aches
- Sore Throat
- Congestion or Runny Nose
- Nausea or Vomiting
- Other signs of new illness that are unrelated to a preexisting condition (such as seasonal allergies)
2. Has the student had any of the symptoms of COVID-19 listed above within the past 3 days that lasted more than 24 hours?
3. Has the student been in close contact with anyone with confirmed COVID-19 within the last 14 days? Close contact means being within 6 feet (2 meters) of an infected person for 15 minutes or more.
4. Has the student had a positive COVID-19 test for active virus in the past 10 days?
5. Within the past 14 days, has a public health or medical professional told the student to self-monitor, self-isolate, or self-quarantine because of concerns about COVID-19?
Adult assistance at arrival
I am looking for assistance from 9:20-9:35 AM.
If you have this availability and can help, please contact Sarah McKinnon at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (425) 408-4201. Thank you!
ATTN Grade 3-5 families - Smarter Balanced Assessment (SBA) testing schedule
This year, our testing will occur in May. It is VERY important that students are at school on a regular basis and that you avoid all appointments for your students on their testing days. There are guidelines for how long the test may take, but the test is not timed.
Please find your grade level's testing information below.
GRADE 3 (Castro & Kinney)
- May 9 - ELA Assessment, Part 1
- May 13 - ELA Assessment, Part 2
- May 18 - Math Assessment, Part 1
- May 24 - Math Assessment, Part 2
GRADE 4 (Rendahl & Sleister)
- May 3 - ELA Assessment, Part 1
- May 12 - ELA Assessment, Part 2
- May 17 - Math Assessment, Part 1
- May 26 - Math Assessment, Part 2
GRADE 4/5 & 5 (Dawson & Skinner)
- May 2 - ELA Assessment, Part 1
- May 5 - ELA Assessment, Part 2
- May 10 - Math Assessment, Part 1
- May 16 - Math Assessment, Part 2
- May 23 - Science Assessment
5th grade families... Camp Cedar Springs
Due to Covid, Camp Cedar Springs has transitioned to a 2-day environmental education experience for fifth-graders for the 2021-2022 school year. Students will not be staying overnight.
Cottage Lake will attend Camp Cedar Springs on May 18 & 19.
If you wanted to watch the recording of the Parent Information Night, please CLICK HERE to be directed to the website.
Mrs. Dawson is our staff lead for camp at Cottage Lake. Below are important dates she has shared.
- Camp Cedar Springs registration packets were sent home this past week.
- April 1: Volunteer Interest Forms (pink paper) due
- April 20: Student registrations are due
- April 21: T-shirt/Sweatshirt Orders (orange paper) due NO LATE SHIRT ORDERS WILL BE ACCEPTED
- May 13: Medication forms and Medication due to Nurse Audrey
- May 18 & 19: Camp Cedar Springs!
If you have questions, do reach out.
Kindergarten Registration is Open for the 2022-2023 school year!
Spread the word!! We want Kindergarten students!!
At this time, we have scheduled two, Kindergarten parent tours. These events are geared to adults. Our dates are:
- February 15, 4:30-5:30 PM
- March 22, 10:00-11:00 AM
Families interested in attending the Kindergarten tours do not need to register. We will have parents sign-in when you arrive on campus.
We are excited to welcome new families to Cottage Lake!
Child Sick or Change of Plans After School?
If you have a trip planned and are going to be gone during school days please fill out the request for excused absence form at this link Cottage Lake Pre-Approved Absence Form
•• DISTRICT NEWS ••
•• REPEAT of DISTRICT NEWS ••
2022-2023 School Year calendar
- First Day of School - August 31
- Elementary Conferences - November 17-23 (These are half-days.... with a dismissal time around 12:45 PM.)
- Winter Break - December 19-January 2
- Mid-Winter Break - February 20-24
- Spring Break - April 10-14
- Last Day of School - June 20
Lunch menu changes
If you are printing out the menu at the beginning of the month, there will inevitably be changes before the month is over.
Although our department strives to make changes at least 7 days ahead, there are weeks when we must make a change with 2-3 days' notice due to delivery shortages, today we have had to make a change to Friday's menu.
For up-to-date menu information please review our menu online (see the link below).
Free and Reduced lunch application
Remember: families must reapply every year!
You can also visit the Northshore Free and Reduced Priced meals website here: https://www.nsd.org/schools/get-started/food-services/free-and-reduced-price-breakfast-lunch
Cottage Lake Elementary
At Cottage Lake Elementary, it is our united mission to build a safe, engaging, and inclusive environment of resilient lifelong learners. In partnership with our vibrant community, we embrace our diversity and strive to foster trust and kindness.