Part 1 :The Care and Feeding of a School Librarian
Professional Growth and Development
A professional journal that I'm interested in is The School Library Journal. I haven't subscribed to it yet but it interests me because it's touted as, " the world's largest reviewer of books" and that appeals to me both personally and professionally.
My goals include becoming active in the associations below and continuing to work with our BOB teams :
- AkLA - I've joined the Alaska Association of Libraries - http://akla.org/
- AkSLA - I've joined the Alaska Association of School Librarians - http://akasl.org/
- District Planning for Battle of the Books
- Instructional Tours - Our district is trying to partner with Anchorage to make instructional tours of fellow libraries a regular thing. I attended the first one. Picture below.
Here is my most current structure :
- I keep four small notebooks with lists.
- I categorize my goals by :
- Long term- (school year or longer) For example, by next year I'd like to complete a deep weeding on my nonfiction section and by the following year I'd like to look at genrifying the library.
- Short term - That would by semester, or quarter's end.
- Here are some resources I've collected to help me ( including a book II bought but haven't had time to read yet :).
Self Care and Nurture
- Professionally ~ I continue to be open to learning new ideas, educating myself, and reading. Also, I listen.
- Personally ~ I take time to be with my family and friends. We travel, talk, play cards, and enjoy each others' company. I'm very happy.
Part 2 : Engaging the Essential Functions of the School Teacher-Librarian
Standards and Curriculum Delivery
Library Media Standards
Education World - http://www.educationworld.com/a_lesson/lesson261.shtml
AASL (again) - http://www.ala.org/aasl/standards/lessons
Student Achievement and Assessment / Library Websites and Apps
Here are some of the websites and/or links I've found that I've begun experimenting with and using in the library. The first three are assessment and the others are broader in range.
- Google Forms - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1R284Rr2v-tl4Uu8e8_6z1MN9TLSdhVp2zRWAChviNf0/edit
- Library Girls, Best Digital Tools for Assessment -http://www.librarygirl.net/2012/12/library-girls-picks-best-digital-tools.html
- Trails9 - http://www.trails-9.org/
- Goodreads - https://www.goodreads.com/trivia
- Biblionasium - https://www.biblionasium.com/#tab/content-new-releases
- Book Wizard -http://www.scholastic.com/bookwizard/
- Book Adventure - http://www.bookadventure.com/Home.aspx
- Listen Alaska - http://listenalaska.lib.overdrive.com/4D4D5C99-6D0C-4F12-A03E-953E91F9B0FB/10/50/en/SearchResults.htm?SearchID=39717541s&SortBy=CollDate
Pictures of three of the apps so far that I have used are below.
WWF Together App
This is a great science and wildlife app with interactive activities, lessons, pictures, facts, etc. Students enjoy it.
My favorite and the students too, I think. It allows me to create quizzes and the kids play along on their phones like Jeopardy.
Math related and addictive!
WWF Together App
Reading Advocacy and Literacy
So far I've hosted :
- a Haunted Halloween Event
- two book fairs
- two Title 1 Family Nights
- Secret Santa with a Book
- a District Speech competition
- Blind Date with a book
- Library March Madness
- A Poetry Slam competition and Books to Movies activity, here's the link for that : https://www.smore.com/6e05n
Leadership and Public Relations
Here our our social media links:
- Website : http://www.matsuk12.us/site/Default.aspx?PageID=8638
- Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/Palmer-Junior-Middle-School-1701056366802230/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel
- Twitter : @PalmerJrMiddleLibrary
- Instagram : pjms_library
- I'd also use Survey Monkey
Fiscal Consideration and Budget
- Keep receipts if you order from Amazon
- Use purchase orders
- Communicate well with the admin secretary
- Manage your P card
- Don't spend all of your book budget in the fall, unless they're going to take it and then SPEND away
- Try to have Book Fairs or other fundraisers
Facilities and Ambience
The resource I've used the most for this is Pinterest, here's the link to my board :
Documents, Forms, Links, Wish Lists, Miscellaneous
Here are a few I've saved so far: