Clarks Creek Staff News
Feb. 1 - 5, 2016
Tomorrow is the big day for our penguin visitors! As we begin our One-School, One- Book program, we look forward to having all of our families get excited about reading together to share the classic story of Mr. Popper's Penguins. Thanks for your assistance in getting ready for this big event! Please review the previous emails about this that will remind you of the schedule of activities over the next four weeks. You'll also see some props in Town Hall that will make excellent sites for pictures!
In addition to One-School, One-Book, we have a tremendous amount of testing taking place over the next two weeks with the final WIDA tests and then the next STAR assessments and the CogAT test. Of course, not all students are taking all of those assessments, but it will be a very busy time across the building!
It's going to be a great week!
Announcements and Reminders
- Reminder - In your mailbox, you should have found a bright green or yellow piece of paper that can be used to nominate your colleagues for recognition by the Optimist Club this year. This is a great opportunity to recognize our staff of outstanding employees! Please submit nominations to Marisa's mailbox no later than Feb. 11th. (The form says the 14th, but that will be over the weekend.)
- Reminder - Valentine's Day is approaching, and the Lions' Club is once again planning to distribute valentines to our neighbors in retirement homes. If your class would be willing to participate in this great way to make someone else's day, please have the cards (or decorations, etc.) your students make to the office by 9:00 a.m. on Feb. 11th and the Lions will pick them up for delivery.
- Thanks for your help in making our PRIDE convocation go so smoothly! It was a great day!
- Pick up Mr. Popper books in the office for all of your students who are the oldest in their families who attend CC.
- Send home the parent information/weekly signature sheet for One School, One Book on Monday. These will be in your mailboxes Monday before lunch.
- Turn in Optimist nominations by Feb. 11th.
10-Day Forecast of Upcoming Events
Penguin Presentation Times - Mon., Feb. 1 in the YMCA Room
9:00-9:55 Second Grade
10:00-10:55 First Grade
11:00-11:55 Fourth Grade
1:00-1:55 Third Grade
2:00-3:00 Fifth Grade
2/1 February Value Nominee Due - Honesty
2/1 to 2/5 WIDA, CogAT, and STAR testing per schedules previously received
- 2/1 to 2/5 Cause for Paws Pet Drive
- 2/1 to 2/11 Pennies for Patients Student Council Drive
- 2/1 First Day of One School - One Book Program!
- 2/1 Penguin Presentations for K-5 - per schedule provided
- 2/2 Building Discussion Mtg 4:00pm Conference Rm
- 2/2 and 2/3 Marisa out of bldg in a.m. on 2/2 and all day on 2/3
- 2/4 Fifth Grade to PCMS for the morning (NEW date!)
- 2/9 Smekens PD - Video #2 4:00 - 5:00 CC classroom; revisions to schedule forthcoming
- 2/10 New Teacher Induction Mtg 3:30-5:30pm Superintendent's Office
- 2/10 March Field Trip Paperwork Due to MD
- 2/11 Valentine Parties 2:30-3:15
- 2/11 School Board Mtg 7:00pm Superintendent's Office
- 2/12 - 2/15 Mid-Winter Break - No School (2/12 make-up potential still exists)
Free Opportunity for Portable Planetarium Training
A Portable, Digital Planetarium
Are you ready to learn about this awesome educational tool? Please join us for FREE teacher training Saturday, February 27th. The Digitarium Zeta is available to districts for one week intervals during the school year. In order to schedule the Zeta you must have at least one teacher on staff trained in the use of this new system. (Starlab training will not count, you must be trained on the Zeta.) There is no user or delivery fee for CIESC member districts. Non-member schools will pay $250 plus courier fees. Click on this link to see what cross curricular standards (K-5) can be covered when using the Digitarium!
- Our PRIDE convocation was a great success! Everyone seemed to have a wonderful time celebrating our students' accomplishments!
- Our Clarks Creek Battle of the Books team was victorious, winning the final battle between all four elementary schools. Congratulations!
- Mr. Johnston's class has won the January attendance trophy!