- Domain Eukarya: They are all multicellular or single celled, but they have a nucleus and they are all living organisms.
- Kingdom Animalia: The kingdom can also be called Metazoa, they are all heterotrophs, they are all multicellular, and they all have cell tissues which perform certain jobs to keep the organism alive.
- Phylum Chordata: The organisms have bony framework, 3 layers of gems in the cell layer with a well-developed body, and they have a closed blood system with a ventral heart.
- Sub-phylum Vertebrata: The organisms in this sub-phylum have muscles attached to the framework of the body, the organism is about to move at some point in their life. The organisms digestive system has a large pancreas, large digestive glands, and large liver.
- Class Mammalia: All organisms in this class are able to move in some way or form, females will produce milk to give to their babies and the mammal has 3 middle ear bones and hair.
- Order Artiodactyla: The organisms in this order are divided into 3 suborders, the animals are very large in species, and they have a false stomach to store extra food.
- Family Bovidae: Females in this family mature faster than males and have babies faster. Most organisms live in a grassy land and males have detailed horns while females have smaller less detailed horns
- Genus Oreotragus
- Species Oreotragus
- Weight- usually between 8-18 kilograms, but females are slightly larger than males, so the average female weight is 13.2 kg, and the males average weight is 10.6 kg
- Height- The average height is between 43-51 centimeters
- Length- The female is longer length wide with an average of 90.5 centimeters. The male average is 86.2 cm long
- Color- The klipspringer has a yellow-red-brownish coat which grows back easily if ripped off
- Food- Zoo and Wild- The animal's diet at the zoo is apples, hay, carrots, and grain. The food in the wild is usually plants, leaves, and fruits.
- Predators- The klipspringer has few predators, but the leopards, pythons, large birds and carcals are usual predators
- Range- It usually lives in rocky mountains in Africa, Sudan, Cape of Angola, and Namibia
- Color is a big part in survival, because it camouflages the klipspringer from predators and hunters
- The hair on the klipspringer is smooth and flat, which allows it to run faster
- They have short, underdeveloped tails that helps the klipspringer from predators so it cannot bite at the tail and bring the animals down. It also helps it run faster.
- On their hooves, it is rotated so it can run and walk on its toes
- The klipspringer will give out a chemical substance that can influence the behavior of animals nearby
- The males and some females have horns, which they use to defend themselves if needed
- Under each eye, the is a scent gland which helps it sniff out animals and plants
- Females start breeding before males, and this helps the animal species stay alive and not extinct
- When a klipspringer is disturbed, they freeze hoping to camouflage and hide in plain sight
- Also, they might whistle, to warn other klipspringers from a predator if they are at risk
- They protect their territories and babies to keep the population high and to keep the species living
- They usually will travel in groups so they can intimate predators and to help other klipspringers in need
- Klipspringers will travel to heights to get away from predators and hunters, and the predator or hunter won't usually climb up a mountain for a klipspringer
http://www.ultimateungulate.com/artiodactyla/oreotragus_oreotragus.html for map, http://animaldiversity.org/accounts/Oreotragus_oreotragus/ for most information, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klipspringer for animal pictures, International Wildlife Encyclopedia Volume 10 for some information, and http://www.czs.org/Brookfield-ZOO/Zoo-Animals/Habitat-Africa!-The-Savannah/Klipspringer for other information
By Jenna Voorhees