By: Sarah Hallett and Hunter Cates
- It was founded by those who wished to escape the religious intolerance found in many of the other colonies. (*Cough Cough* Massachusetts)
- Roger Williams & Anne Hutchinson (Colony's Leader/Founder): were religious exiles from MA.
- maple syrup
- ship manufacturing
- rum manufacturing & export
- There founders were religious exiles, so they were very tolerant of all religions.
- The had the first Jewish synagogue and first Baptist church in the new world.
Why Rhode Island?
- The colony was founded primarily upon the values of tolerance and acceptance.
- There motto was "Hope".
Government in Rhode Island
- Rhode Island Royal Charter of 1663: Documents English recognition within the colony. Outlined broad freedoms for inhabitants of the colony, and provided rudimentary outline for government.
- King Charles was pleased to see a colony that offered religious freedom.
- First colony to secede from Britain.
- Originally named Red Island for its red clay, but after British rule it became known as Rhode Island.
- The prohibited the import of slaves in 1652, but wasn't enforced until 1774. Ironically because it had been a major port for slave trade.