Student News and Campus Update
St. Philip's ECHS
All SAISD Schools Closed until May 1, 2020. Physical classes are scheduled to begin May 4, 2020.
A Message from Dr. Thomas
St. Philip's College (SPC) Remote Classes
St. Philip's College (SPC) classes transitioned to an online format on March 23. Classes will be conducted through Canvas and Zoom. Students who have difficulty accessing their ACES account should call SPC's technology help line at 210-486-2777.
Face-to-Face Classes Meet Remotely
- Face-to-Face classes will meet remotely as a class at the regularly scheduled day and time using a video conferencing tool called Zoom. Each Face-to-Face class will also have a Canvas course established to help facilitate remote learning.
Use Canvas for Face-to-Face Courses
- Canvas in ACES will be the primary means of communication for Face-to-Face courses while in remote learning. Faculty will use Canvas announcements and inbox features to share information about coursework. Students should review their course syllabus, consistently watch for messages in Canvas about coursework and join Zoom sessions during the remote instruction period.
Start Smart with Remote Ready Boot Camp
- To prepare for remote learning, students are encouraged to take the one-hour Remote Ready Boot Camp (RRBC) training in Canvas
- Click on Canvas in ACES, scroll down in your dashboard until you see your college’s name and Remote Ready Book Camp.
- It will help you to watch this video on RRBC.
Check your ACES email and Canvas accounts on Monday, March 23 and on a regular basis.
St. Philip's ECHS Online High School Classes
Beginning Monday, March 30, all high school classes will be offered online. Teachers have spent this week (March 23-26) to set up their classes and prepare materials for students. The platform for all lessons will be Google Classroom. To assist with the implementation of the online curriculum, we have loaned Chromebooks to students who expressed a need for an electronic device. If you have questions regarding high school courses contact your child's advisory teacher or Ms. Campbell, Campus Operations Coordinator at email@example.com. If you are having technology difficulties with your Chromebook, please call SAISD's Technology Help Desk at 210-244-2929
Virtual Education Master Schedule and Teacher's Office Hours
Need Internet Service?
Below are the links for ‘free’ student internet access at home:
- Xfinity (Comcast) Click link for info: http://wifi.xfinity.com/
- Spectrum: https://www.spectrum.com/wifi-hotspots Call 1-844-579-3743 to enroll. In addition, Spectrum WI-FI hotspots will be open for public use.
- St. Philip's College has designated parking lots 12 and 13 (by the library) as hotspot locations for students to access campus Wi-Fi. Students are encourage to stay in vehicles and practice social distancing. Directional signage will guide students to the locations.
One point of emphasis: These are huge organizations, parents are highly encouraged to call and discontinue service at the end of the two (2) month free period in order to avoid billing.
Please understand that St. Philip's ECHS is not endorsing any specific Internet provider. We are simply sharing the free resources we found.
Beginning Monday, March 23, SAISD changed hours for its free curbside meal service program at 27 campuses to allow families to pick up both breakfast and lunch, including hot lunch entrée options, at the same time. Both meals are available from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
Additionally, the District is launching the SAISD Eats program through the Transportation Department, which delivers meals to select bus stops at varying times.
The campus curbside and SAISD Eats programs will be in place throughout the District’s school closure. Students do not need to be enrolled in SAISD to participate, but must be 18 years of age and younger. Children receiving meals must be present at the time of pick up.
For more information, contact the Child Nutrition Services Department at (210) 554-2290 or visit https://saisd.nutrislice.com/.
Student and Family Support
The current school closure may result in some students or families feeling anxious and scared. If a student is feeling worried or down, our virtual school counseling office is available to support them. If a student would like to talk to someone about any aspect of this crisis, please contact Dr. Rich, Lead Counselor, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Parents may also refer to this flyer for helpful tips on how to help children cope during a time of crisis.
As a community we will get through this, and as an SAISD community we will come through this stronger than before. If you have any needs please contact Ms. Campbell at email@example.com. She will forward the information to our leadership and student support team
Student Activities and Events
Our prom for the 2019-20 school year has been cancelled. We are sorry about any inconveniences.
St. Philip's College Graduation (May, 2020)
St. Philip's physical graduation is cancelled. Plans are in the works to determine the feasibility of conducting a virtual graduation. Additional information will be sent as soon as a decision is made by the college.
St. Philip's ECHS Graduation (June 2020)
A decision has not been made regarding the status of our high school graduation.
All planned field trips are cancelled.
Work on the 2019-20 is near completion and will move forward as planned. Due to the shut down that we all are experiencing, the printing of the yearbook by Lifetouch may be impacted. Students will be contacted as soon as yearbooks arrive. If you want to order a yearbook, there is still time. Please place your order online through the Lifetouch website
ID code: 14036520
If you did not join the Remind APP for your class, please do so now. We are using Remind to communicate with you. Below are the codes for each class.
In order to receive information from our campus, text the remind code for your grade level to the number 81010. If you are having trouble with 81010, try texting the remind code to (256) 850-3882.
Remind Account Code
12th graders (class of 2020) @4b2cf4
11th graders (class of 2021) @fba4kh
10th graders (class of 2022) @kgd3d4
9th graders (class of 2023) @dk929e7
Re-enrollment for 2020-2021
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Videos
The following video was created as part of CDC-TV’s Health Matters series for the general public and public health professionals.
We encourage you to watch the video and learn more about how you can keep your family healthy by practicing improved hygiene.