Laburnum Community Connection
Family Edition - September 19, 2021
Greetings Laburnum Families,
We are looking forward to another great week at Laburnum. Please read the information below to stay updated on news and events related to our school.
Click on the link below for previously shared newsletters.
Back to School Night 9/23- Reminder
- You MUST RSVP to attend. Click this link to RSVP.
- Masks are required.
- The event is for adults ONLY.
- One parent/guardian per family.
- Please adhere to your timeframe.
- There will be two 30 minute sessions per hour. This is to accommodate families with multiple students.
- A copy of the teacher's presentation will be provided after Back to School Night.
Last Names A - R 4:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Last Names S - Z 5:00 PM - 6:00 PM
Message from the Librarian
My name is Ellen Heberling and I am the librarian here at Laburnum. I’m so excited to have students back in the library this year and I can’t wait to develop their life-long love for reading, and dive into some inquiry-driven lessons! This coming week students will begin checking out books. Students will be learning how to keep their books safe so they won’t get damaged, and how to find a safe place at home to keep their books - this could be a bookshelf, their backpacks, a bedside table, etc. We really want books to be returned on time to the library this year so everyone at the school has an opportunity to check out the books they love. Also, however, because of the number of lost books in the district during the 2019-2020 school year, bills will be issued for lost and damaged books. I’d love to work together as a team and ask you to help your students find that safe place for their books, and remind them to bring their books back to school. Thank you, and I’ll see you at Back to School Night!
If your child has any outstanding library books, please return them to the library this week. Thank you!
Principal Chat and Chew
Health Reminders from the Nurse
- If your child is sick, please do not send him/her to school. Contact the nurse at (804) 228-2720.
- If your child must stay home, be sure to follow the guidance from the nurse to avoid delaying your child's return to school.
- If you are required to provide a doctor's note, we must receive the note BEFORE your child returns to school. The note MUST include an exact return date for your student.
- A negative COVID test is not sufficient for a return to school.
- Please see this flowchart for the most recent information regarding students with a positive COVID test or is a known exposure to a an individual who tests positive.
School Health Updates
All safety information and processes can be located at https://henricoschools.use/health-safety
Dismissal Procedures - Reminders
If you are picking up your student after 1:45 PM, you will need to go through the car rider line. We will not be dismissing students from the office after this time.
If you are walking your child to school or walking home with your child, please wait at the top of the sidewalk near the parking lot. Due to safety concerns we do not want people crossing through the buses on the bus loop in the morning and afternoon. Please have your orange pick up/car rider tag with you.
Car RidersPlease have your car rider tag displayed in your vehicle upon arrival. If someone else is picking up your child, they must have your car rider tag.
Please note that the traffic pattern has changed to allow for a safer flow of traffic during arrival and dismissal. Please see the linked map below of the updated traffic pattern.
Lastly, vehicles are not permitted to park in the bus loop, which is located directly in front of the building.
All early dismissal requests must be submitted in writing to the classroom teacher. We cannot honor early dismissal requests via email or phone. Early dismissal will not occur after 1:45. This is a busy time as we prepare for dismissal.
Laburnum School Calendar of Events - Click the link below to see our school events for the entire year. This dates are subject to change due to circumstances.
- September 22, 8:00 AM - 9:00 AM - Principal Chat and Chew. Light refreshments will be served and this will be held outside.
- September 23, 4:00 - 6:00 PM: Back to School Night, K - 5
Join the PTA
Don't forget to join our wonderful PTA! The cost is only $7.00 per person. Use the membership link today or stop by the school.
Papa John's Fundraiser - Use the code "Laburnum" when ordering pizza from Papa John's. Our PTA will receive a portion of the money to support our students and staff. See flyer below.
Follow us on Social Media
Stay in the know by following us on social media at the accounts below. We post important events and pictures to share all the great things happening at Laburnum.
Just click like or follow. We will also share information via those accounts. You can also scan the QR codes below with your phone and be taken directly to each page.