First Colonial Band Notes
April 14th, 2021
Letter from the Director
Greetings FC Band Family,
I am so proud of all of the hard work our students have put in over the past several weeks. We are entering the busiest time of the year so far, with the chamber ensembles, jazz band, pit orchestra, & leadership training all underway. In this newsletter there is a ton of important information regarding the Spring Concert & other important upcoming events----please make every effort to read everything carefully so nothing is missed. We are also beginning our much needed spring cookie dough fundraiser---please help us out if at all possible as we push to reach our goal of at least 500 boxes ($3,000 profit) to help fund our many programs for the students.
Director of Bands
Tri-M Music Honor Society Advisor
Performing Arts Department Chair
PBIS Team Leader
First Colonial High School
Students have the option of performing face to face for this concert or submitting a full recording of their assigned music to receive credit for this unit.
Spectators for this event are allowed & will be required to RSVP with headcounts so we can follow all VBCPS guidelines for spacing & spectator size. Each student will be given an allotment of tickets in May.
Concert Date: Thursday, May 13th at 7pm (6pm call time for students)
Dress Rehearsal Date: Tuesday, May 11th from 2:30-4:30pm
Fundraiser Kickoff: Wednesday, April 14th
Fundraiser Deadline: Friday, April 30th
Fundraiser Delivery to FC: Tuesday, May 11th at 1pm (Can be picked up 2-6pm)
The funds raised will be used to help cover the costs of:
- End of Year Awards
- Senior Recognition
- Startup Funds for 2021-2022
- Curricular Ensembles (music, reeds, new equipment, guest clinicians, audition fees, etc.)
- Cocurricular Ensembles (music, copyright fees, instructional staff, competition fees)
Our goal as a band is to sell 500 units of cookie dough, which will give us approximately $3,000 in profit.
Orders can be placed online as well this year by following the link here.
If ordering online, you will need to use the FC Band Agreement Code: K4Q5BJ9Q8K
Make sure to include the student you are sponsoring with your order at the end.
Please note--all orders are still shipped to FCHS & must be picked up on May 11th between 2-7pm.
Spring Musical Pit Orchestra - Interest Meeting
Wednesday, April 14th, 2:30pm
This is an online event.
- Bass Clarinet
- Soprano Sax
- Alto Sax
- Tenor Sax
- Bari Sax
- Percussion 1
- Percussion 2
- Bass (Electric & Upright)
- Guitar 1
- Guitar 2
- Keyboard 1
- Keyboard 2
An interest meeting will be held on Wednesday, April 14th at 2:30pm in the band room (and Zoom) for all interested students. Auditions will be due by April 19th at noon. The full rehearsal schedule can be found here.
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
Advanced Concert Ensemble
- Havana Nights, Randall Standridge
- Vesuvius, Frank Ticheli
Intermediate Concert Ensemble
- Seventeen Come Sunday, Ralph Vaughan Williams
- Folk Songs from Somerset, Ralph Vaughan Williams
- A Cool Ocean Breeze, Bob Turner
Each group rehearses every other week & follows all of the VBCPS COVID Guidelines. Rehearsal schedules can be found below.
Dress rehearsal & concert dates will be finalized & announced as soon as we received the VHSL Spring Sports schedule.
Marching Band 2021-2022 Season
Tuesday, May 18th @ 7pm, 2021-2022 Band Information Meeting
Tuesday, June 15th Marching Band Deposit & Commitment Forms due
For students interested in being a member of the Marching Patriots Drumline (Pit + Battery) & Colorguard, we will have several spring workshops on:
- Tuesday, June 8th from 2:30-4:30pm
- Wednesday, June 9th from 2:30-4:30pm
- Thursday, June 10th from 2:30-4:30pm
- Tuesday, June 15th from 5-8pm
For those students interested in a leadership position, we will have several training sessions followed by an interview/audition. The dates for those events are:
- Monday, April 12th from 2-4pm, Leadership Workshop 1
- Monday, April 19th from 2-4pm, Leadership Workshop 2
- Monday, April 26th from 2-4pm, Leadership Workshop 3
- Monday, May 3rd from 2-4pm, Leadership Workshop 4
- Monday, May 10th from 2-5pm, Leadership Interviews & Auditions
Parent Help Needed!
We are currently looking for:
- General members (volunteers, chaperones, fundraiser helpers, etc)
- Volunteer/Chaperone Coordinator
- Uniform Coordinator
- Fundraising Coordinator
FCBB May Meeting
Tuesday, May 4th, 6pm
This is an online event.
If you are a parent/grandparent/guardian/caregiver, you are invited to be a member of the First Colonial Band Boosters. Meetings are held monthly where we discuss program direction, fundraisers, student events, & much more. All are encouraged to participate & help make our program the best that it can be.
To join FCBB in Band, click here.
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
- Office hours after school (2:00-2:30pm daily)
- Tutoring sessions by appointment (after school)
- Group sectionals as needed (after school)
We take pride as a band in helping each other achieve success. There is no shame or embarrassment in asking for help---we view this self-advocacy as a sign of maturity, professionalism, & as an indicator that you are driven to succeed. If you are a student that needs assistance in band, please feel comfortable reaching out to another band member or Mr. Walker for help. We want to see you be successful!
COVID Mitigation Strategies
- Social distancing: Students will be spaced a minimum of 6 feet while playing a wind instrument or singing. Trombones will be spaced 9 feet. (Notes: We are spaced more than 6 feet due to our available space. We are also facing the same direction in lines, no arcs or circles. This is not a requirement, but a suggestion we are able to follow).
- Personal Protective Equipment: Students will be provided a Musician Mask by FC. The Musician Mask is a special mask that has a slit/flaps in the middle that allow students to play their instruments while still wearing masks. An adapted version of this is specific to flutes/piccolos.
- Instrument Equipment: We have equipment specific to individual instruments that will be distributed to in person students. Brass players will be required to use a puppy training pad (pee pads) to empty all spit/condensation from their instruments (FCHS provided).
- Rehearsal Time: Our rehearsals will be limited to 30 minutes (when playing or singing) in length. At the end of the 30 minutes, we will vacate the area & allow the air to recirculate. This period will last for 5 minutes for outdoor rehearsals & 40 minutes for indoor rehearsals.
- Rehearsal Location: While not required, it is recommended that rehearsals are held outside when possible. Weather permitting (no precipitation, at least 40 degrees), we will do the majority of our playing outdoors.
- Assigned Seating: All teachers at FCHS will be assigning seats for contact tracing purposes.
- Pods: For ensembles that meet after school, students will be grouped into pods of 10 or less. Students will remain in these groupings for the duration of the after school ensembles.
- Schoology & Schoology Messenger
- Remind (Concert Band: @fcbandcb21 , Wind Ensemble: @fcbandwe21)
For all cocurricular ensembles & other information relating to our program:
- BAND app (Marching Band, FCBB, Varsity Percussion, Chamber Ensembles)
- Website: www.fcband.org
- Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/firstcolonialband
- Instagram: @firstcolonialbands
For all communications, messages will be responded to as seen during school hours (6:45am-2:30pm). Office hours are available daily from 2:00-2:30pm. Mr. Walker's Planning Block is from 10:20-11:20am M-F.
- All assignments can be attempted multiple times prior to submission (Schoology, Flipgrid, SmartMusic, etc).
- Grading Dates: All work will be graded on Mondays, with progress reports being sent out weekly.
- Missing/Late Work: Assignments can be turned in past the posted due date, but a reduction of points will occur. The deadline for submissions will be posted prior to the end of each grading period. If you submit something late, it is your responsibility to notify Mr. Walker to make sure it is graded.