TECH TIPS & TRICKS FROM SHANTEL - VOL. 9
May 21, 2019
END OF YEAR TECHNOLOGY 2018-2019 SLIDE SHOW
Google Renaming "Team Drives" to "Shared Drives"
- Drive on Web and Mobile: Timing may vary depending on the specific platform.
- Drive File Stream: Beginning on May 31, 2019, with the Drive File Stream version 31 release, "Team Drives" will be renamed to "Shared Drives" in the Drive File Stream navigation.
Feel free to read additional information regarding this release.
LEAVING KISD BUT STILL WANT ACCESS TO YOUR GOOGLE FILES??
- Teachers leaving Klein can use Google Takeout to create an archive file of their Klein Google content. Archived content can be stored on an external hard drive or uploaded to a personal online storage location.
- This Google support page provides additional information about the process and results.
- Items which are not included in the export can usually be downloaded and added to saved files. Depending on sharing privileges for the document, teachers may need to make a copy of some items in order to download them.
- Remember that resources created for use in Klein while an individual has been employed in Klein remain property of the district. Teachers should not remove resources that teams have used and continue using.
- Student products and assignments are part of students’ education records and should remain in Klein in accordance with FERPA.
- Staff who plan to use the Google Takeout process to download a copy of their files should not wait until the last contract day to do so. Encourage staff to begin this process early next week so that it can be re-done if an initial attempt does not work.
Inserting Images in Google Sheets
- Simply right-click on an image and hit copy, then in Sheets right click and hit Paste to insert the image over the grid.
Check out the several new features for objects in Sheets!
HOW TO INSERT AUDIO IN GOOGLE SLIDES
The long-awaited Google Slides audio feature has finally arrived! (If you don't have it yet, you will soon!) Users can now insert audio in Google Slides – voice, music, narration, sound effects, any type of audio you have access to or want to create.
For many years, Google users have asked how to add audio–usually narration or background music–to Google Slides. Google has finally heard this request, and there is now a new menu option: Insert > Audio!
There are so many ways that you can use this feature in your lesson plans and student projects. If you are looking for project ideas, check out Kasey Bell's post titled 25 Ways to Use Audio in Google Slides.
*Please note: If you do not have access to this feature yet, you should see it by mid-May 2019. Currently, this feature is only available on the desktop version of Google Slides.