May 6th - May 10th
Wednesday, May 8th - Friday, May 10th
- 4th Grade Outdoor Education
Wednesday, May 15th
- General PTO Meeting, 9am
- PTO "Thank you" Spring Luncheon, 11:30am
Friday, May 17th
- 2nd Grade Bike Safety
Thursday, May 23rd
- Before School Chorus Concert, 6:30pm
Monday, May 27th
- No School, Memorial Day
Thursday, May 30th
- Harper Student Council Fun Fair, 3:15pm
Wednesday, June 5th
- 4th Grade Farewell lunch
Thursday, June 6th
- Field Day!
Friday, June 14th
- Last Day of School
- 4th Grade Farewell Party, 3p-5p
Dr. Kick's Corner
-I truly have few words to express how grateful and excited I am about the 4th grade Outdoor Education scholarship fund in my name! Every year we have students that won't be able to attend Outdoor Education without a financial scholarship. With this scholarship fund, we will be able to adequately fund the requests for financial scholarships. This is so exciting! I love outdoor education and am truly humbled that a scholarship in my name will afford many students, who require financial assistance, to attend the event. #blessed
-Celebrate Dr. Lechner's retirement on Thursday, May 30th from 4:00-6:00pm at the MEC. See attached flyer.
-HMS has an awesome Broadcast studio, yet another innovation supported by our Education Foundation. Well…. The HMS News Team made the JAM TV Show today! Well done HMS!
Dr. Kick Outdoor Education Scholarship Fund
- A Farewell Retirement Tribute – “The Dr. Kick Outdoor Education Scholarship Fund” – This PTO scholarship fund has been created as a retirement tribute to Dr Kick and her love of the Outdoor Ed Trips. The scholarship fund will offer financial assistance towards the Outdoor Ed tuition for Harper families for this year and future OE Trips. A portion of the proceeds from this years Movie Night (Peter Rabbit) will go directly to Dr Kick’s OE Scholarship fund. An online donation form is provided for any families wishing to donate. Please go to the PTO Website for more information and to donate directly to this wonderful tribute and cause. www.harperpto.com
Attention Library Volunteers
- A HUGE thank you to all the parents that volunteered this school year! The library would not run without your support and dedication.
- Looking for more library volunteer opportunities? We still have openings for book-check out through May 20th and need help with end of year shelving and organizing books as we prepare for inventory. Please help us fill in some gaps in the schedule if you can!
- Click the Sign Up Genius here! Please grab a friend and spend an hour helping to put everything back in its place before summer. We hope to see some eager helpers in the next several weeks!
It’s time to order your school supplies for next year! Online ordering is underway and will end on Friday, May 17th. Don't miss out, order your school supplies for the 2019/2020 school year by visiting www.edukitinc.com and typing in Harper to begin your order. Once your order is complete, you will receive a confirmation email and your student’s kit will be waiting for them in their classroom on the first day of school. To order for another District 39 school, simply go to www.edukitinc.com and enter the school name to find the supplies for that school. A portion of the sales from each school kit will be donated to the Harper PTO. Questions? Please email Erica Lockwood at email@example.com
Civics and Safety -- Attention 2nd Graders
Second graders will have bike safety training on Friday, May 17th. Students will need to ride their bikes or scooters to school that day. A Park District facilitator will mark a course, and we need 2 volunteers per classroom to greet riders, check helmets, manage the class and help simulate potentially dangerous situations on the course such as a car backing up or what to do at stop signs and red lights. The Wilmette Police will also be there to reinforce safety points. Look out for a SignUpGenius!
4th Grade End of Year Party
- The 4th Grade Farewell lunch will be held on Wednesday, June 5th and the End of Year Farewell Party will be June 14th from 3-5pm at Harper. Last week to send 4-5 photos of your child for the slideshow to: Harpergradparty2019@gmail.com. Please submit the photos by May 10th!
- In the spirit of reusing, the Environmental Awareness Committee is organizing a FURNITURE/HOME FURNISHINGS DRIVE with Habitat For Humanity of Lake County. What began as a neighborhood drive has now expanded to the whole village with collections happening over several days. The tentative dates are Wed, May 28-Saturday, June 1. They will accept cabinets, tile, lighting, outdoor furniture, tools, leather furniture, appliances (less than 7 years old), and MUCH MORE. They will come to your house to collect large items. For smaller ones, a central drop off location will be designated. All donations are tax deductible.
- If you are interested and hey, even if you want to help organize or promote this, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
FAN (Family Action Network)
- FAN presents Psychologist and Author Lisa Damour, Ph.D. talking about Under Pressure: Confronting the Epidemic of Stress and Anxiety in Youth on Wed, May 8 at 7p at New Trier High School, Winnetka Campus, Gaffney Auditorium 385 Winnetka Ave., Winnetka, IL 60093 and CEU hours available at GRAND ROUNDS Thurs May 9, at 9-10:30a at New Trier High School, Northfield Campus, Cornog Auditorium 7 Happ Rd., Northfield, IL 60093. Go to www.familyactionnetwork.net for CEU registration.
FAN is bringing Author Emily Bazelon to present on the topic of Charged: The New Movement to Transform American Prosecution and End Mass Incarceration on Mon May 20 7p Evanston Township High School Auditorium 1600 Dodge Ave., Evanston, IL 60201.Interviewer: Professor and Author Geoffrey R. Stone.
Community Service Corner & News
- We are gearing up for our final community service drive of the school year! We will be collecting rolls of paper towels and toilet paper to help stock the shelves at Connections for the Homeless. We will do this in conjunction with the Harper Fun Fair on Thursday, May 30! Please plan to bring 1-2 rolls wrapped paper towels or a 4-pack of wrapped toilet paper to the fun fair or during the week leading up to it. More details to come as the date nears. Thank you in advance for your support of this drive and for your support of our drives throughout the year!
- Due to the bulk of the donations, we are gong to need extra hands/big cars to deliver the paper towels and toilet paper to Connections (located in north Evanston) that day. Please let Laura Geiger (email@example.com) know if you are available to help. Thank you!
- 2019-2020 Connecting Kids Preschool Openings
- Housed within Romona School is the Connecting Kids Preschool Program. The half-day sessions for three, four and five year-old children are specifically designed to prepare children for District 39 kindergarten classrooms. With structured play, planned pre-academic instruction, differentiated learning, and vocabulary development, Connecting Kids provides an excellent foundation for all children. Reserve a spot for your child in next fall's three, four or five year-old classes.
- Registration is still open and spots are still available! Registration forms can be found online here.
Wilmette Historical Museum & Wilmette Police Department host Open Houses on Sunday, May 5th from 11:00 am - 2:00 pm.
Wilmette Historical Museum hosts Summer Scavenger Hunt June 17 - August 4th.
North Suburban Special Recreation Association (NSSRA) offers year-round recreation programming for disabled individuals.
Trevian Girls Softball Association is seeking a few more 9/10 year old girls (4th/5th graders) interested in playing spring/summer softball. Contact Kelsey Lee at Klee@trevians.org for more information.
Trevian Juniors is a softball program for girls ages 6-10. Go to the website for tryout information.
Oakton Community College hosts summer STEAM camps and classes for students ages 8-12. Registration is now open.
Northwestern’s Center for Talent Development offers Weekend Enrichment Programs for students age 3 through 8th grade.
Love to sing? Youth Choral Theatre of Chicago offers a free vocal training class with flyer. Vocal classes available for children ages 4-18.
The Center Fitness Club schedule and various park district classes for children are posted.
Wilmette Food Pantry is open every Tuesday 10:30-11:30 am at Trinity United Methodist Church.
All announcements to be included in the Harper Happenings should be sent to Liz Hayes via the Communication Request Form by Mondays at 9 am. If you do not receive an email response within 24hrs, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm your Communication Request Form was received.
For more school information, visit the Harper PTO website.
For additional D39 community events, visit wilmette39.org