April Senior News
Information from your counselors!
Hello all! Greetings from your counselors Mrs. Lazear and Ms. Sweder! We are almost done with your LAST SEMESTER in high school!! A lot of important deadlines are coming up—read below for more information! 85 days til graduation!
Important April Dates
Great time to get your COURT hours or COMMUNITY SERVICE hours for government!!
Also, work on A+ if you need to!
4/7--TMCC Open House
4/8--Deadline to sign up for the May 7th SAT!
4/19--TMCC SOAR Orientation Part 1. In the Career Center after lunch
TMCC Open House
Thursday, April 7th, 6:30-8pm
7000 Dandini Boulevard
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
TMCC SOAR Part 1 Orientation
Tuesday, April 19th, 12pm
If you are NOT in Senior Seminar, you can get a pass from your 5th, 6th, or 7th period teacher, OR stay afterschool!
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
- Boys & Girls Club Scholarship DUE 4/1 http://www.bgctm.org/services/college-scholarships
- Hellman Memorial Scholarship DUE 4/1 http://www.aiann.org/associates_and_students.html
- Governor Guinn Memorial Scholarship DUE 4/1 http://www.nevadatreasurer.gov/GGMS/What/
- AFSA Scholarship DUE 4/6 https://www.afsascholarship.org/high-school-contest/
- Joshua L Anderson Memorial Foundation Scholarship DUE 4/8 http://www.jlafoundation.org
- Hispanic Caucus Institute DUE 4/15 http://www.chci.org/scholarships/
- Davis Memorial Foundation Scholarship Due 4/8 http://www.davisfoundation.org/scholar/index.htm
- Otto Huth Scholarship DUE 4/8 http://dcfs.nv.gov/programs/CWS/IL/Other_ed/
- Stockman Memorial Scholarships DUE 4/30 http://nevadafund.org/john-r-stockman-scholarhsip/
- Scofield Memorial Scholarships DUE 4/30 http://nevadafund.org/officer-mike-scofield-memorial-scholarship-2/
Meet your TMCC Ambassador!
Did you know that we have a TMCC Ambassador and Recruiter who is on campus EVERY Tuesday?!?!
Her name is Mari Jimenez and she is in the Library EVERY Tuesday after lunch just to talk to you!
Questions about admission? Orientation? Financial aid? ASK MARI!
Queen in You
Do you need to finish an A+ class? Spring intercession will be March 28th-31st, 8 am to 1 pm in the Career Center.
Seniors--Your attendance MATTERS!
Remember that you are only allowed 9 unexcused absences before you will lose credit. If you know that you will be out, make sure that your parent calls to excuse you WITHIN 3 DAYS! After 3 days, it cannot be excused. To call, call: 321-3200.
Fines and Fees
You MUST pay your outstanding fines to the Bookkeeper, Angel Baxter as soon as possible! If you are not sure what you owe, see Ms. Baxter before/after school or at lunch!
If you haven’t yet decided which schools you want to apply to—get on it! When the school year hits you will be busy! Once you have an idea of colleges you are interested in:
Go to the school’s website (usually you can find it with a simple Google search)
Find out the school’s admission requirements—do they make all students have a foreign language? Do they require a certain GPA? Schools want you to know what it takes to get in—find out!
Check to see if the school offers a degree you are interested in (not all schools are the same, and you can’t assume they will offer the same degrees).
Find out when their application is due. (Hint: University of California schools usually have deadlines in early fall!)
Do they require the ACT or SAT, and if so, do they require a certain score?
Another good resource for college: www.GotoCollegeNevada.org.
ACT & SAT
As a student at Hug, you get 2 free waivers to take the ACT and SAT for free each. In order to get a waiver, you must come see Mrs. Lazear or Ms. Sweder. If you use a waiver and don’t take the test, YOU are financially responsible for paying to change the date to another ACT or SAT date.
TUESDAYS in the Career Center after school Mrs. Lazear and Ms. Sweder will be available with waivers to help you sign up! Sign up quick before spaces fill up!
There is NOT another ACT that you can sign up for.
The next SAT date you can sign up for will be Saturday, May 7th. The deadline for signing up is April 8th.
How do I study?? It is a BIG test, and unlike the HSPE, it is timed.