Care & Support Ministry
Community Workshop for Women
Change & Loss
Coping with Loss and Change
Dealing with change and loss are issues which woman of all ages face at some point during our lives. Sometimes it is the loss of loved ones, the loss of relationships, loss of careers, loss of family, loss of dreams and expecations, loss of homes or possessions to name just a few of the struggles we may encounter or have encountered. We are "fearfully and wonderfully made" (Psalm 139:14) uniquely designed to withstand life's journey, however while coping and going through it we often can not understand how we will be able to endure,
While walking or crawling through the process we will experience a myriad of emotions, and this a normal human experience. Understanding this and giving ourselves permission to grieve, rest, cope in order to get the strength for the journey is often necessary for our progress and ability to move forward, Utilizing Self talk and meditation on the scriptures to heal can be therapuetic tools to help us through the process of healing. When overcome by emotions we can remind ourselves to take it one step at a time, that this feeling will pass, and when we feel overwhelmed again repeat the process.
Self care is needed to give ourselves permission to take the necessary time to renew, refresh, and reconnect with our lives and others. This may involve taking time to allow the Lord to minister to us in a quiet inner place through prayer. Our model for this is Jesus Christ. "Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up , left the house and went off to a solitary place where he prayed. " Mark 1:35 NIV. He made time to be alone, and connect with God, the source of his strength, and ours. Walking, stretching, and breathing excercises may also have a positive calming effect.
Maintaining a positive support system is also necessary for strenth and healing. Truly "No man is an island!", and God made us to be relational belngs. We need one another, and allowing others to support us in times of crisis is both essential, and therepeutic often for both sides. We are all different and will react differently to situations, however we can be patient, kind, and empathetic to one another. Expressing our feelings rather than keeping them bottled up is important! We need to have at least one friend, family member, or confidant with whom we can share our thoughts and feelings. Keeping a journal is a means of self expression, and also a healthy release. Participating in support groups, counseling or therapy are also positive healthy tools which have proven to be beneficial throughout the healing process. There is no set pattern for coping with change and loss, however implementing positive tools into daily life may be a great help.
Scriptures to Read during difficult times:
--When you are sad John 14
– When you don’t feel loved Romans 8:38-39
– When you have sinned 1 John 1:8-9
– When you are facing danger Psalm 91
– When people have failed you Psalm 27
– When God feel far from you Psalm 139
– When your faith needs encouraging, call on Hebrews 11
– When you are scared Psalm 23
– When you are worried Matthew 6:25-34
– When you are hurt Colossians 3:12-17
– When you feel no one is on your side Romans 8:31-39
– When you are seeking rest Matthew 11:25-30
– When you are suffering Romans 8:18-30
– When you feel you’re failing Psalm 121
– When you pray Matthew 6:9-13
– When you need courage Joshua 1
– When you are in need Philippians 4:19
– When you are hated because of your faith John 15
– When you are losing hope Thessalonians 2:16-17
– When you are seeking peace John 14:27
– When you want to do good works John 15
– When you want to live a happy life Colossians 3:12-17
– When you don’t understand what God is doing Isaiah 55:8-9
– When you want to get along with others Romans 12:9-21.
Contact Alicia Hicks for confidential individual counseling sessions at 484-288-0078.
November Women's Encouragement Workshop & 2nd Anniversary
Saturday, Nov. 22nd, 11am-1pm
1023 Valley Road
Loss and Change
Speaker: Pastor Sandra Ben
Praying Ground, Wilmington DE