Tuesday, January 26, 2016
Truth, Justice, and the Charger Way!
A note from Mrs. Pistel
Thursday is the 100th Day! To celebrate, students may bring small candy items such as, Skittles, m/ms, Mike and Ike's, etc. to share.
Student Led Conferences will be held on Thursday, February 4th and Monday, February 8th. A note will go home with your child on Friday! Please send it back as soon as possible stating whether or not the time and date will work for you and your child. This is a great opportunity to see all of the learning and growth going on in our classroom!
This month's character traits are Motivated and Hard-Working. Students are learning and hearing about this in class meetings, during Counselor Sessions, and each day during morning announcements. This has been our focus throughout the year, but it is definitely a great reminder as we begin the new semester. Thanks again for helping to make this an amazing year. I'm so excited about this next semester and know that it will be a terrific 2016!
- I can identify nonfiction text features and use those features to comprehend nonfiction texts.
- I can learn new content specific vocabulary words using various strategies.
- I can identify the main idea of a Nonfiction text.
- I can read nonfiction texts to ask and answer questions.
- I can publish my personal narrative!
- I can explore nonfiction texts to determine their structure and characteristics to guide my writing!
- I can generate a list of questions to guide my research!
- I can take notes from a resource, document the source and paraphrase the information collected.
- I can recall with automaticity my basic addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division facts.
- I can determine the volume of a rectangular prism using a formula.
- I can double and triple the volume of a rectangular prism by increasing the dimensions appropriately!
Word Study Targets
- I can use and spell correctly high frequency words.
- I can accurately proofread and locate the correctly spelled words in a passage.
- I can create and use contractions correctly.
Unit 12 Assessment will be Friday, January 29th.
Science/Social Studies Targets
- I can identify the Six Kingdoms.
- I can distinguish the difference between plants and animals. (plants produce their own food through photosynthesis.)
- I can label the parts of a flowering plant.
- I can classify an animal as a vertebrate or invertebrate.
- I can identify an animal as a bird, fish, mammal, reptile, or amphibian.
- I can correctly label a United States Map, labeling all 50 states.(a goal for the entire year)
- I can identify the capitals of the West and Mountain states.
- I can read a map and understand how to use it answer questions about location.
- I can compare and contrast various Native American groups.
- I can create and present my quality Prezi on a Native American group.
Items added to your student's Data Binder:
- Spelling, Units 5, 8, 9 and 10 Assessment
- Math Quiz Multiplication
- Various Reading assignments.
Please look at the data binder each week. This section of the newsletter will identify what has been added to the binder for the week.
Special Activities and Celebrations
Mark your calendar!
- 100th Day Celebration
- Spirit Assembly, Friday, January 29th at 8:30!
- Student Led Conference note to go home on Friday, January 29th.
- Student Led Conferences on the 4th and 8th of February!
Moreau Heights Elementary School
We are safe, respectful, and responsible!