Living Faith Today-Living Faith Today will begin having in-person classes on Sunday morning beginning October 10th. The Tuesday evening Zoom sessions will also continue so there will be two learning opportunities; Sunday morning and/or Tuesday evening.
This week's topic is "Supreme Court Justices Ask to Not Be Viewed As Politicians" - In recent speeches, three of the Supreme Court justices have declared in various ways that none of the high court justices should be thought of as politicians. That raises for us the matter of impartiality, which is a biblical concept, applying especially to God but also often sought for how we deal with others. This study group looks at what is happening in the world, how Scripture may guide us, and how we might respond in keeping with our faith. The group meets each Sunday morning at 10:30 and each Tuesday evening beginning at 6:30 PM for 1 hour via Zoom. This is not a class where you have to be there every week. You can come to some and not others depending on what is going on in your life. If you would like to check out this study group (they really are nice), email JoAnn Wright (email@example.com) and she will add you to the email list. We hope you will join us.
- Job Position: Worship Technology Leader- FUMC is looking for someone to lead and coordinate the technology aspects of worship. Find the full job description on our website (www.fumcwaukesha.org/worship-technology-leader). Please contact Rev. Susan Bresser, Rev. Greta Hietpas or Melissa Freiberg, SPRC chairperson to set up an interview.
- Nursery Caregivers- We need both paid nursery staff as well as fill-in volunteers. You must be fully vaccinated for Covid. Contact Rev. Greta Hietpas if interested.
- · FUMC Mission Team is organizing a collection of ‘Gifts of Warmth’ to support the 12,500 refugees from Afghanistan at Fort McCoy. Collection points will be designated at the church for coats, hats, mittens and gloves for men, women, and children. There are also immediate needs for:
• Toddler clothing sizes 2T – 5T
• Children’s clothing all sizes
• Men’s tennis shoes up to size 9 – white, grey, black
• Women’s shoes up to size 8
• Children’s shoes/boots – all sizes
New items are preferred but gently used items can be accepted. There is a strong preference to avoid logos, characters, and bright colors in any clothing items donated.
Waukesha County is listed as having a substantial level of community transmission. Because of this, we are asking the worshipping community to please wear masks as part of our Christian witness. We mask because WE LOVE OUR NEIGHBORS. Our recommendation to mask in worship addresses the needs of the MIXED-VACCINATION status in our faith community. Even though nearly half of Wisconsinites are fully vaccinated, we will be mindful of those not yet vaccinated, those for whom vaccines offer less protection, and those who cannot be vaccinated (including our children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren under the age of 12). Let us continue to practice DOING NO HARM.
- Greater Milwaukee El Sistema is having a Culver’s night on Wednesday, Oct 27 from 5-8 pm at the Culver’s near Woodman’s 1650 E Main St.
- Waukesha Memory Cafe "Waukesha Memory Cafe" is Wednesday, October 27, 10:30- noon. The topic is "Memories of Home" with bingo. This is a social gathering for those who are experiencing early-stage dementia, mild memory loss, or mild cognitive impairment (MCI), and for their families, friends, or care partners. For questions, call Lu Ann Ramsey at 262-524-9378.
We are excited to announce that The Secret Angel Gift Shop will be back this year. Our purpose is to give children and young adults the chance to learn about the joys of giving at Christmas, while shopping in a commercial free environment.
The shop is stocked with affordable gift items, most donated by First Church members, priced from $0.25 to $5.00. The gifts will be wrapped by volunteers and ready for giving. We have volunteers ready to guide each child through the shopping, buying and wrapping process. In keeping with the church motto of ‘Doing no harm’ all volunteers will have been vaccinated and wearing masks.
How can you help? If you would like to donate, please drop off new or gently used items in a marked bin that will be placed in the main hallway starting October 31st. We are especially in need of tissue paper, men’s and teenage girl and boy items. In previous years, high demand items included, toys, lotions/makeup, kitchen items, tools, sports items, stuffed toys, pet items. Sign up sheets to help will be coming soon. Please contact Debbie Blum with any questions (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Volunteers Needed to Serve Meals on Weekends- Starting November 6th through April 30th, Hope Center's Day Center will once again be open seven days a week. They need volunteers to donate, prepare and serve breakfasts on Sundays, and breakfasts and lunches on Saturdays. If you are able to help out, please call Becky at 262-549-8726, or email at email@example.com.
- Men’s Breakfast group is meeting on November 14th. We meet the second Sunday of each month. If you’d like more information, contact Dirk Wilken.
- Attention Upper Room Readers! Copies of the November/December Upper Room are available. Previous editions are available as well. If you’d like a copy, they are available in the hallway. You can contact the Office Manager for a mailed copy as well.
Download FUMC’s APP Today – FUMC’s APP is available to download in the iTunes App Store, Google Play and Amazon App Store. Go to our webpage to download the app or simply search “FUMC Waukesha” in the store to get started. Note: You currently do not need to create an account to use the app unless you plan on using the Giving or Notes portion. Designed to be used on smartphones and tablets, the purpose of our app is to have everything our members and friends need to know about FUMC in one easily accessible place.
Wanted: Quilters and Sewers to join us to make charity quilts. We meet at church the 1st Tuesday and the 3rd Thursday from 9:00am-12:00pm each month. Any questions call Mary Crown at (262)446-9343 or Kathy Greenwald at (262)542-8094
Yarntwisters is still a regularly active group. Each Tuesday from 9:30 to 11:30, we have met at members homes. It been a wonderful experience. It kept us active, social distance at first, but helped us able to experience friendship and socialization, much needed during this time. If you have free time and want to join us, we love to add new members. We would be glad to teach anyone to knit or crochet. Yarntwisters love yarn donations, they can be left in room 209 or at church office at any time. That yarn will be put to good use. If you have questions, please contact Joyce Collins at 262-544-1781
- In-Person Scripture Readers Needed- Consider being a scripture reader in the sanctuary! You can sign up and read guidelines HERE or by calling the church office.
If you would like to donate altar flowers, please SIGN UP HERE. Please indicate on the sign up if you would like to keep or donate them to a homebound member after.
Greeters needed: We are now changing the way we use Greeters at FUMC. We would like to have 4 people per Sunday to help people sign in, grab a mask, and give directions etc. Please pick your Sunday and sign up! Bring a friend or family member to join with you. We ask that you arrive by 9 am to begin your time.
- You can help increase AmazonSmile donations to First United Methodist Church (at no cost to you) by shopping HERE or with AmazonSmile in the Amazon Shopping app.
Healing Hearts offers virtual support groups for those with a grieving heart. The Adult Grief Support Group meets the second Tuesday of the month form 6:00pm-7:00pm. The Family Support Group for children, teens and adults meet on Monday from 6:00pm-7:00pm rotating between children and parent groups (every other week for each). The Young Adult Peer Grief Support Group meets every other Thursday from 6:00pm-7:30pm. To register for any of these groups call (262)751-0874 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The counting team requests that you continue to use your offering envelopes when mailing in contributions. If you have not received yours, please email Tia Legler with the number of envelopes you would like and she will get those to you.
- We appreciate your ongoing financial support of FUMC's mission and ministry. Our online giving account can be found using this link: HERE Your checks can be mailed to the church and designated to support our church budget or other specific missions of our church. Note to church members: When you mail your check-in, please include your green pledge envelope with your envelope number on it inside the mailing envelope. Our address: First United Methodist Church, 121 Wisconsin Avenue, Waukesha, WI 53186.