January 11, 2021
Dear King Families
After a very difficult week with the events in Washington, DC, I hope that this weekend was a time for everyone to be with loved ones. This may be a confusing and an uncertain time, not just for your children, but for many adults as well. We will continue to support our students should they need a safe place to share their thoughts or fears about this topic. Please feel free to reach out if you would like additional resources that may help guide conversations that you are having at home with your children.
I am very excited to announce that after a long medical leave, Jennifer Herring returned to work this past week at King! I am also very happy to let you all know that Gail Chancey will continue to stay on at King for the rest of the school year as well. We are incredibly fortunate to have two Assistant Principals on staff, providing the King Community with consistency and stability during a very challenging time!
As we begin our second week of school in 2021, we will continue to remain remote while keeping a watchful eye out for any updates on the return-to-school plan. Here is the most recent Return to School Update from January 8th for your reference.
This week's King Connections includes:
- Roary's PAWSitive News
- Distribution Day- January 14th
- Massachusetts State Dinosaur Vote
- King's Drama Club
- Grab and Go Food Distribution
- January's Character Education Theme: ACCEPTANCE
- Online Stories with FHS Unicef Club
- PTO Meeting Link- 1/13/21
- Link to Massachusetts Travel Updates During Covid
- Dates to Remember
Please be sure to utilize the district tech website if you are having any tech issues.
Please note: The district has created this "Return to Learn" page that includes timely planning updates and resources for families.
IMPORTANT REMINDER- Learning materials distribution for K, 1, 3, 4, and 5 on a NEW DAY! Thursday, January 14th
On Thursday, January 14th, we will be distributing additional important learning materials to Kindergarten, 1st, 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade students. These learning bags will have some essential instructional materials that teachers will ask students to access during lessons, such as specific content graphic organizers, manipulatives, books, journals, etc., so we ask that you do your best to come by at one of the 2 windows of time to pick up the individualized bags.
Additionally, if you wish to return any library. classroom books, we will be able to collect those as well.
We will be distributing items at the rear of the building at Door 18 near the playground.
We will offer two windows of time in order to accommodate your busy schedules to the best of our ability:
YOUR VOTE COUNTS FOR MASSACHUSETTS STATE DINOSAUR!
Rep. Jack Lewis, the Massachusetts Democrat who represents Ashland and part of Framingham in the state legislature, will file legislation on Jan. 15 to designate an official state dinosaur for the Commonwealth.
He needs our help to choose which dinosaur should represent the state of MA.
Your child may be doing this in class this week, so please study the two dinosaurs on this poll as a family and then submit a grown up vote by the January 14th deadline.
King's Virtual Drama Club is back!
King actors and actresses will explore the various components of theater, including warm-ups and team building exercises, character development, and performing for a virtual audience.
The Drama Club will meet every Wednesday from January 13th through February 24th from 4:00-5:00pm and is open to Grades 1-5.
Click HERE for More Information
GRAB-AND-GO MEAL PICK-UP EXPANDS FROM FOUR SITES TO ALL FRAMINGHAM PUBLIC SCHOOLS! Click HERE for More Information!
January's Character Education Theme of the Month is ACCEPTANCE
Definition: Respecting the differences of other people
“I” Statement:I will accept others for who they are.
What does it feel like to be accepted?
- At home
- In your classroom
- In your community
Why can accepting others be hard sometimes?
What steps can I take to make sure that my words and actions respect everyone’s differences?
Some Book Titles about ACCEPTANCE: Click on the titles for the audio versions!
- Same Same But Different: Jenny Sue Kostecki-Shaw
- It’s Ok to be Different: Todd Parr- (Spanish) (Portuguese)
- Whoever You Are: Mem Fox (Spanish) (Portuguese)
- I am Enough: Grace Byers (Spanish)
- Lovely: Jess Hong (Spanish & English)
- Mixed: A Colorful Story: Arree Chung (Spanish)
- The World’s Family: Miranda Paul
- All My Stipes: Shaina Rudolph and Danielle Royer
- The Name Jar: Yangsook Choi
- The World Needs More Purple People: Kristen Bell & Benjamin Hart
- A Boy and a Jaguar: Alan Rabinowitz
- Since We’re Friends: An Autism Picture Book: Celeste Shally
- Jacob’s New Dress: Ian & Sarah Hoffman
- Red: A Crayon’s Story: Michael Hall
Check out the video stories read by members of the Framingham High School Unicef Club!
PTO MEETING!!- January 13th- We hope to see you there!
Wednesday, January 13th, 7:00pm
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 861 5852 0573
Dial by your location
+1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
ParentTeacherOrganization Join our WebSite
Do you want to be able to connect with other parents in your child's classroom? Are you interested in volunteering at a PTO event? Do you want to buy tickets or register for PTO Events? If you answered yes to any of these questions, then visit http://www.kingpto.com today and join the school directory!
Any questions emails email@example.com
Here is a link that may be helpful to keep up with which states are allowable for travel at a given time.
Dates to Remember
- 7th - Early Release: Parent Conferences
- 13th- PTO Meeting: 7:00pm-8:00pm
- 14th- Early Release: Parent Conferences
- 18th- No School: MLK Jr. Day
- 19th- No School: Professional Development
- 19th- School Council: 6:00pm-7:00pm
- 9th- School Council: 6:00pm-7:00pm
- 10th- PTO Meeting: 7:00pm-8:00pm
- 15th- No School: Presidents' Day
- 16th-19th- February Recess
King School Hours
School Hours 9:05am - 3:20pm
Early Release Days
- Students who are learning remotely are dismissed at 12:00pm. Students who are learning in-person are dismissed at 12:55pm. Lunch IS served.
- Early Release Thursdays: 1/14/21, 3/11/21, 4/29/21, 5/6/21, 5/13/21, 5/20/21, 5/27/21
- Students are dismissed at 12:00pm.
- Lunch IS NOT served.
- Half Days: 11/25 and the last day of school.