John Wayland Elementary School
Home of the Jaguars
John Wayland Welcomes Our Volunteers
Active involvement by volunteers greatly helps individual students, as well as our whole school. Our students shine, with the additional support volunteers provide.
There are many ways can serve as a volunteer:
A mentor is a person who can be a supportive friend, tutor and role model for a student who has been selected by his or her classroom teacher. The mentor spends one hour during the school day, weekly throughout the year with a student. Being that special someone to listen to and talk with. The Big Brothers/Big Sisters Liaison will hold a training session prior to the mentor and student meeting.
A volunteer tutor would spend a minimum of one hour two or three times monthly in as assigned classroom. The tutor works with individual students or small groups of students in activities of the teacher’s choosing. A tutor may help with reading, math, writing, spelling, computer or reviewing for a test to assist teachers.
Volunteers can help our ESL (English Second Language) students to speak, read, and understand English
Support and Clerical Volunteer
*Assisting in chaperoning field trips
*Laminating materials at school
* Assisting children with special projects (sewing, baking, arts, crafts…)
* Supervising K-2 with skills (reading, math, telling time, counting money…)
* Assisting with production of games and instructional materials (some work could be done at home)
* Assisting in the library
* Assisting with the primary classes in the computer lab
* Assisting children in cafeteria
* Volunteer your special talent