LPES Back to School Bulletin
Welcome to the 2022-2023 School Year!
Welcome to the start of the 2022-2023 school year! We are so happy that you & your PAWSitively Amazing children are a part of our Panda Nation family! In just a few days, our hallways and classrooms will be filled with joy, laugher, and students ready to learn and show their Panda Pride. We can’t wait to see you at our Open House" Back to School Blast" on Monday, August 22nd from 2-4pm! You can meet your teacher, see your classroom, catch up with old friends, pick up some cool supplies, and so much more! Let's get ready to start another PAWSitively Amazing year with you!!!
Important August Dates
August 19th: HAC (Home Access Center) Opens for Families
August 22nd: 2:00-4:00pm Open House for all!
August 24th: First Day of School for K-5 Students
August 25th: Pre-K Orientation-more details to follow soon!
August 26th: First Day of School for Pre-K
Bus Stop Locator
Bus Stop Locator & Here Comes the Bus App
Bus Routes are now available through the SMCPS online look-up feature. These routes and stops will be constantly updated between now and the start of school.
Select this link to learn how to view the real-time location of your child's bus. We highly recommend signing up for this helpful app!
Cafeteria Corner: Apply for Meal Benefits
Free & Reduced School Lunch Program
The meal benefits that allowed us to provide free meals to students regardless of income status has ended. Free and reduced-price meals are still available, but families must submit an application for this benefit.
An electronic application submission is quick and easy, but don't worry, we'll have paper copies if you need to apply that way. At Open House we'll have kiosks where you can complete your application AND on the first day of school we'll be sending home paper copies. Don't miss out!
There are many additional benefits of submitting a meal application form. These perks include waivers on college applications, dual-enrollment courses with the College of Southern Maryland, and discounted fees to participate in St. Mary’s County Parks and Rec programs. Families can request more information by contacting SMCPS' Food and Nutrition Services Office at 301.475.4256, Option 5, or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
School Bus News
This year in an effort to keep a safe and orderly environment on our school buses we will be having a Bus Conduct Contest. The contest will begin on September 6th. We encourage you to speak with your child(ren) about bus safety. I have included a live link. SMCPS Bus safety video
The rules for this contest are simple! They are all about following bus procedures
and arriving at school safely! Each bus driver has a copy of the 6 items listed below.At the end of the week, the bus driver will submit a safe behavior ticket for the bus, if the rules are followed.
- Bus of the Week - Bus displays award- students are entered for a chance to win a small prize.
- Bus of the Month - Bus gets to hold the bus trophy for the Month!
- Bus of the Year - Ice cream party for students and driver AND the bus driver receives a gift!
BUS SAFETY REMINDERS
- Stay seated in your assigned seats and NEVER leave your seat while the bus is
- Always face forward
- Use indoor voices
- Use appropriate language
- Listen to your driver
- Raise your hand if you need the driver’s attention
Make sure you update Your Laptop!
If you haven't been using your laptop this summer, be sure you turn it on and install updates before you come back to school. There may be a lot of updates to install and it could take a while.
Select this link for SMCPS Technology Support information.
Please see this document for information about the care and liability of your SMCPS devices and other school resources.
New Panda Nation students will receive devices during the first few weeks of school.
SMCPS is Hiring!
Join our team! Select this link for more information.
SMCPS has multiple positions available to support our students and staff, including full-time and part-time positions in various areas. Employment opportunities can be found on the SMCPS website: https://www.smcps.org/hr/employment-opportunities
The Abacus Corporation provides part-time/temporary positions to support SMCPS as well. Various positions are also available through the Abacus Corporation and can be found on their website: https://www.abacuscorporation.com/find-jobs
Update Your Contact Information
Lexington Park Elementary School
To help you navigate all the new elements of the school year and keep you informed about upcoming programs & events, we will communicate information frequently and in several ways. They are listed below for your reference.
- Weekly Phone/Email & Schoology Message: At 6:00 on Sunday you will receive a phone message & email from us sharing information about the upcoming week.
- Class DoJo: Very soon your child’s teacher will invite you to join Class DoJo. We use this platform because it is secure/members only and allows us to share a wide variety of information with you. Please join our DoJo family!
- Our LPES Website and Twitter feed: The LPES website has a wide variety of information for you and is updated regularly. We love to share all the wonderful things our students & teachers are doing, so we tweet just about every day. Follow us on Twitter @lpes_smcps
- Technology Needs: if you are new to the school or need a device from SMCPS please complete the survey here.