Community Learning Network 7
SPOTLIGHT ON MATHEMATICS OCTOBER 2015
You've been Boo'd!
This treat is for you,
I hope you enjoy,
The idea is simple, one I hope you employ!
Just scroll down the page and find a good read,
And get important information you’re sure to need!
Great resources move us a whole lot more,
Increasing student learning and improving their scores!
We are a friendly math bunch, that loves to share,
Feel free to forward this Boo without all the scare!
~Pam Zelando, Math ACL
Check out these great number bond teaching resources: http://www.sparklebox.co.uk/maths/calculations/number-bonds/#.Vh7qFvlViko
Grade 2: Place Value, Counting, and Comparison of Numbers to 1000
Here is a virtual manipulative that can help with place value understanding:
Grade 3: Place Value and Problem Solving with Units of Measure
This performance assessment task can be used to assess student understanding of time:
Grade 4: Multi-digit Multiplication and Division
Check out this NCTM Illuminations resource for teaching multiplication arrays:
Grade 5: Multi-Digit Whole Number and Decimal Fraction Operations
Try this Learnzillion video resource:
**Interim Assessments 1st/2nd Grade**
- The interim assessments for grades 1 and 2 have been placed in Data Link
- The new test IDs are 54430 and 54427
- They will open for teachers in Data Link on the 23rd
- The administration window is from 10/30 to 11/5
- The scoring window ends on 11/11
Math Contest Information
- 5 monthly contests given from November to March
- Team has up to 35 students
- Individual; 5 non-routine problems
Mathcounts (middle) - https://www.mathcounts.org/programs/competition-series
- Club in a Box
- Team of 10 is $100; can also send up to 4 individuals @ $30 each
- Problem of the Week usually related to current events
- This is a local/state/national contest
AMC8 (middle) - http://www.maa.org/math-competitions
- 11/17/2015 at Salisbury University
- Salisbury University will pay the cost of all test materials and provide lunch (students, teachers, specialists, administrators & chaperons)
Gettin' Digi With It!
K-5 math games: http://gregtangmath.com/games.html
Free CCSS aligned math games for all ages: http://www.xpmath.com/
Animated math video lessons: http://www.learnalberta.ca/content/me5l/html/math5.html
Below is a link to some newly released MSDE resources for PARCC including:
- A recorded version of the MSDE "PARCC for Teachers" webinar from October 1, 2015
- A video about the score report that will be going home to parents
- A parent guide to the score report
Check out these CCSS aligned formative assessment lessons!
Click on the links below to access the websites.
App of the Month
Click here for more information: http://www.educationworld.com/a_tech/app-reviews/5-dice.shtml