This is how to divide
Steps to divide
- This is the first step to dividing, you have to estimate the divisor. OH NO whats a divisor. A divisor is a number by which another number. After you estimate the divisor estimate the dividend. A dividend is a number that is to be divided by a divisor. Now you have your estimated equation find the answer and get you estimate.
- Than after step one you make a division house. Always put the first number in the equation first.
- Make sure that the number can't be from the estimate it has to be from the the real equation .
- Now you can start the problem.
- First you check to see if the divisor can go into the first number in the dividend.
- If it can't you look at the second number in the divisor.
- Great the divisor goes into the second number in the dividend.
- This is a three digit number.
- Now you divide and think to your self how much times can this divisor go into these two numbers.
- This is where your estimate comes in handy.
- If your estimate is two digits you use the first digit and multiply the first number of the estimate and the dividend.
- The answer too that equation will most likely be the answer you can use.
- But you have to make sure that the number you are using is smaller then the divisor and the dividend.
- Great now you have to subtract the number you are using and the two numbers from the dividend.
- When you get that answer bring down the last number in the dividend.
- Then you do the same thing as before except you don't have a estimate so you really have to think and multiply numbers by the divisor that make sense.
- When you finally have that number check and make sure it is less then the divisor and dividend.
- Then subtract and get the answer.
- now there is nothing to bring down so the problem is done. Unless...
- If you don't want a remainder add a zero and do the same steps.
- Now if you still have a remainder keep on adding zeros till you don't
- You should not have to add more then 3 zeros
The Steps to Long Division