~ Hawley School Newsletter: April 25, 2021 ~
From the Desk of Mr. Moretti.....
Dear Hawley Parents/Guardians, Teachers, and Staff,
Wow, What a week! It was glorious. Although we have all been doing a tremendous job this crazy year, for the 1st time this year, it felt like an Elementary School again.
It was Hawley Loves to Read Week. We had a PJ Day and A Hawley Wear Spirit Day. Author Brian Lies met virtually with every class. Based on his books, students made Bat Bookmarks and Bat Headbands. We had some DEAR Time (Drop Everything And Read) and Guest Readers. Students went on a Bat Search and Voted to name our Husky Mascot.
Buckle up, stay seated, and keep your hands and feet in the car at all times, as you read on to find out What's Happening at Hawley .....
~ Author Visit ~
Thank you to the PTA for funding Brian's visit and the materials for the fun activities.
~ DEAR, Bat Bookmarks & Guest Readers, Oh My! ~
~ Bat Bands ~
~ Holy Bat Invasion, Batman ~
- Ms. Tatto's Class- $564
- Mrs. Fries's Class- $450
- Mr. Haber's Class- $300
Your support was greatly appreciated!!
~ Hawley Votes ~
Tis Budget Season. This Tuesday, April 27, 2021, community members go to the polls to vote on the town budget. We wanted students to have this experience of Civic Responsibility.
We set our vote up just like a real vote. Our Husky Mascot needed a name. During the Primary, each class submitted a name for consideration. Then on Friday, every student voted for 1 of the 3 choices: Blue, Scout or Sparky.
Students came to the cafe and signed in. Their name was located (confirming they were a Hawley registered voter) and crossed out. They were then given a ballot and went to a private voting station. They marked their ballot and dropped it in the mailbox. Students at home (remote learners or in quarantine) had the ability to submit an absentee ballot via Google Form. Students even received an "I Voted" sticker ;0)
We certainly learned that EVERY Vote Counts! Here were the results (it was so close that we did have a recount):
- Blue- 63
- Scout- 105
- Sparky- 104
Remember to exercise your civic responsibility and Vote this Tuesday on the town budget.
Important Reminders / General Info
- Until further notice, All Wednesdays are 3-Hr Early Release Days regardless of the Instructional Model that we are in. We will dismiss at 12:37 pm, please plan accordingly.
- Parent Pick-Up certainly runs better when people are not early. There is actually less waiting if cars are spaced out and on time. Those going to REED after Hawley are the only cars needing to arrive 3:15-3:25. Hawley only pick-ups should not come until 3:30-3:40, with those waiting for REED students shuttling over arriving at 3:45. THANK YOU!
- Remember to email email@example.com with any Tech Issues that you are experiencing. This helps us prioritize and monitor all requests.
- Thank you for your continued support and for all the kind words and messages. They truly keeps us going!
Dates to Remember
- Mon-Wed, 4/26-4/28: Kindergarten Registration
- Tues, 4/27: Town Referendum (Budget Vote)
- Wed, 4/28: 3-Hr Early Release Day for students
- Fri, 4/30: NO SCHOOL- Teacher Professional Development
- Wed, 5/5: 3-Hr Early Release Day for students
- Wed, 5/19: 3-Hr Early Release Day for students
- Thurs, 5/20: Virtual Incoming Kindergarten Orientation 1 (there are 2 offerings of which you attend 1)
- Mon, 5/24: General PTA Meeting, 6:30-7:30
- Tues, 5/25: Virtual Incoming Kindergarten Orientation 2 (there are 2 offerings of which you attend 1)
- Wed, 5/26: 3-Hr Early Release Day for students
- Mon, 5/31: NO SCHOOL- Memorial Day
From the Mouths of Babes.....
A- "That is what they wore in the olden days"
B- "Is that a dress?"
C- "Can that shirt even be tucked in?"
D- "Is that your grandma's?"
E- ALL OF THE ABOVE
Answer: E, All Of The Above