Pleasant Knoll Elementary Weekly Update for Parents
Welcome from the PKES Administration
We hope that all of you had a wonderful summer! We are excited to be welcoming back our staff on Monday, August 12th and our students on Monday, August 19th. We would like to take this opportunity to welcome our new families. We are confident that you will have a tremendous experience in a warm, welcoming, all-inclusive environment.Each Friday, you will receive "The Panther Press," with updates and information that we feel will keep parents informed and engaged in all things that are happening at PKES.
This year, we will continue to focus on the implementation of the 5 C’s into everything we do in instruction, operations and practice. We will be creative and collaborative, we will think critically, we will be great communicators, and we will provide an environment where caring is at the core of everything we do and every decision we make.
As most of you know, our school has grown tremendously. We will open our doors with over 1,000 students. With this, we have the unique opportunity to welcome many new students and families to our school. We are also fortunate to have the opportunity to add some very talented staff to an already amazing all-star cast.
We are beyond excited to get this year started. You will see how excited we are about this year when we send our "Welcome Back Video" next Friday, August 16th. This is a tradition that we know all of our students and families look forward to.
Again, welcome back! We are confident this will be the best year for all students, staff and families yet!
We look forward to seeing everyone soon!
New families or families who have not set up Parent Portal received an email August 1st with instructions on how to set up Parent Portal. If you are unable to login to Parent Portal, we will have information available during Meet the Teacher. We are unable to give out Parent Portal information via phone.
Changes to PKES Parent Lunches
- Parent lunches will begin for grades 1-5 on Monday, August 26th.
- Parent lunches will begin for Kindergarten on Tuesday, September 3rd.
- Parent lunches will take place on the stage. Due to space limitations and allergy considerations, parents will not be allowed to eat at the tables on the floor of the cafeteria.
- Parent seating is first come, first serve. A limited number of seats are available on the stage for parents and their child/children.
- Parents will only be permitted to eat with their child/children. Students will not be allowed to have a buddy eat lunch with them.
- Parents must have a driver's license or state issued ID to enter the building.
- Students are limited to two parents/guardians/siblings for lunch.
- Only adults who are in PowerSchool as a parent/guardian/emergency contact will be allowed to eat lunch with students. Any other visitors must be escorted by a parent.
- Parents should plan to arrive at the start of lunch. Students will also have to leave the cafeteria when their lunch time is over. No extensions to lunch will be made. If parents have not arrived at the start of lunch, students will go through the lunch line and purchase a lunch.
- The stage will be closed two Fridays each month for Teacher Luncheons and Student Incentives. Below are the dates that no parent lunches will take place for the 19-20 school year.
- Parents should plan to meet their child in the cafeteria for parent lunches.
- Due to space and to allow all students the opportunity to visit with parents, we ask that parents limit the number of times they come to lunch with their child. We value social interactions among peers. Due to this, parents will not be permitted to eat lunch with their child daily.
The stage will be closed (no parent lunches) on the following days for the 2019-2020 school year.
September: Friday, September 13th and Friday, September 27th
October: Friday, October 11th and Friday, October 25th
November: Friday, November 8th and Friday, November 22nd
December: There will be no parent lunches in December.
January: Friday, January 10th and Friday, January 24th
February: Friday, February 14th and Friday, February 28th
March: Friday, March 27th
April: Friday, April 17th
The final day of parent lunches will be Thursday, April 30th.
Traffic Circle/School Time Changes 🕢
7:05 AM - Doors open and car rider line begins
7:35 AM - Tardy Bell - Students are tardy if they are not in the building. Being in the car rider line once the bell rings does not count the student present. If the student is not in the building, he/she is tardy. We frequently monitor traffic and we understand that weather can slow down the line. We will make reasonable exceptions when these events occur. Please note that traffic is heavy and allow extra time to arrive on time.
2:20 PM - Dismissal
2:40 PM - Our car rider line ends at 2:40 PM. All car riders should be picked up in a timely manner.
Follow us on Twitter
Mr. Allen, Principal - @PKESAdmin
Mrs. Steger, Assistant Principal - @PKESAP
Mrs. Driver, Assistant Principal - @PKESAAP
Meet the Teacher
Kindergarten Meet the Teacher will be from 8:00-8:45 AM, 9:00-9:45 AM or 10:00-10:45 AM. Kindergarten parents are encouraged to attend one of these sessions.
Meet the Teacher for Grades 1-5 will take place from 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM. Parents are encouraged to drop in at a time that is most convenient for them.
New Staff to PKES
New to Kindergarten
Cassidy Garrick (new to PKES)
Rebecca Robinson (from 1st to Kindergarten)
Kari Cornwell (Kindergarten Assistant working with Ms. Bostardi)
Emily McMahan (Special Ed to Kindergarten)
New to 1st Grade
Susan Scappaticci (new to PKES)
Heather Eatman (new to PKES)
Katie Moody (new to PKES)
Kim Perkins (moving from K to 1st)
Diane Dewland (new to PKES)
New to 2nd Grade
Emily Brandt (new to PKES)
Betsy Knight (moving from 1st to 2nd)
Erin Sweeney (moving from 3rd to 2nd)
New to 3rd Grade
Rachel Galmish (moving from 4th to 3rd)
Courtney Montgomery (moving from 1st to 3rd)
New to 4th Grade
Michael Small (new to PKES)
Krystine Blocker (new to PKES)
Donna Marie Barra (new to PKES)
Chantal Murphy (moving from 5th to 4th)
New to 5th Grade
Gabrielle Smith (new to PKES)
Allison Cash (new to PKES)
Jennifer Bower (moving from 4th to 5th)
Hailey Ciley (moving from Special Ed to 5th)
New to Related Arts
Kacie Nguyen - Technology (new to PKES)
Bradley Williams - Music (new to PKES)
Special Ed & Related Services
DeYana Walker (moving from 1st to Special Ed/Resource)
Orysia Hartman (moving from Special Ed/Resource to Special Ed/Special Setting)
Jessica Whitaker - Physical Therapy
Laura McAulay - ELL Teacher (new to PKES)
Bruce Cash - Special Services (returning to PKES)
LaVonda Williams - Rehabilitation Behavior Therapist (new to PKES)
Tifaine Hash - Special Services Assistant (new to PKES)
Jennifer Santizo - Special Services Assistant (new to PKES)
Ar'risha Knight - School Counselor (new to PKES)
Please make sure your child’s Registration Fee for the 2019-2020 school year has been paid. Please follow the directions below to pay the fee online:
INSTRUCTIONS FOR PAYMENT OF FEES ON-LINE
1. Parents, please go to the Fort Mill School District homepage at Home - Fort Mill School District
2. Scroll down to the “Quick Links” section and click on “Pay Fees”
3. Log in (if you used the online system last year) or create an account
4. If you create an account, you will need your child’s student ID number and date of birth xx/xx/xxxx
5. Click on the tab for your PKMS student
6. Your instructional fee has been automatically added to your account
7. Click on any optional fees you would like to add to your cart
8. View Cart and Checkout
Important Dates for August
Friday, August 22nd - Independence Day
Friday, August 30th - Fire Drill