LVHS Welcome Back Newsletter
Excellence in Everything.
Change, Change, Change...
First, a review of the spring departures...
In semi-late-breaking news...
Since the end of the school year, we have had two resignations. Mr. Pool decided to join his wife at Cedar Ridge HS in Round Rock ISD (hard to blame him!). Our new Physics teacher is Corey Hendrix. Corey is an LVHS alum! He is very excited to be teaching at his alma mater and is committed to continuing the excellence in science that he knew as a student. And finally, Randon Johnson got an opportunity to get back to his neck-of-the-woods and family and took a job as head baseball coach at Bushland HS. Brad Kassell will be replacing Randon. Brad has lived in Lago Vista with his family for several years and is thrilled to start making a difference at LVHS! He will be teaching our freshman orientation course, MAPS, and coaching football. Former assistant baseball coach, Brandon Grant will step into the head-coaching position and Steve Searle will join in an assistant coach role. Both Brandon and Steve were all-star baseball players back in the day, as you may have witnessed in their LVISD co-ed intramural softball game debut this past spring. Go team!
Oh, and one more thing (in case you have not heard)...our superintendent, Matt Underwood, resigned and is headed to Stephenville ISD. His position has not yet been filled, but I am nothing but optimistic about the direction our district is headed! We are on the verge of something special here!
Lots of Stuff to Read Over Before You Get Back (some sooner)...
There are several super important items for you to consider and a few that require your attention and feedback:
- Schoolwide Procedures (https://drive.google.com/a/lagovista.txed.net/file/d/0B9GUQCF2uqLcYVk2dktLNVNVOEU/edit?usp=sharing). The PBIS team met in June to construct the policies and procedures for most of the common areas of our school. Please review and provide feedback to any member of our team prior to August 6 (team members: Diane Bode, Lara Chapman, Brandon Grant, Debbie Hansen, Eric Holt, Andrew Larkin, Randy Mathisen, Dan Nettles, Tina Pasak, Robin Statham, Heather Stoner). We will be meeting then to tweak things prior to our campus wide training on procedures during inservice week.
- NexGen Feedback Form (subject to change - https://drive.google.com/a/lagovista.txed.net/file/d/0B9GUQCF2uqLcdkxuV0NaYlVkeG8/edit?usp=sharing)- We all want to know how we are doing, right? This feedback form will be provided to teachers each nine weeks as a way to make sure we are all on the path to excellence. And when someone isn't, it allows us the opportunity to put supports in place to get on the right path. Excellence in everything!
- Traditions - With this being the first year in the new building, it's a great time to start thinking about what new traditions we want to start. Something new at Pep Rallies? Something Special on the First Day of School? Homecoming? Just be thinking and don't be afraid to steal ideas from other schools and share your thoughts with the PBIS committee.
- District Employee Handbook (https://drive.google.com/a/lagovista.txed.net/file/d/0B9GUQCF2uqLcT2pTcUJzV3U5cHc/edit?usp=sharing)- Be sure to check the employee dress and emergency substitute folder sections so those aren't a complete surprise before school starts.
- Bell Schedule (https://docs.google.com/a/lagovista.txed.net/document/d/196W4SXsd2MgTDCvnjzJUkEi5WjRv71wZnsZDNqvdcK0/edit?usp=sharing)- Most of the feedback we received was really positive regarding moving the homeroom period to the end of the day. Those of you with criticisms, we listened and I think we addressed most of them with a plan. Of course, if it doesn't work, we can always try something different next year!
- Master Schedule (https://docs.google.com/a/lagovista.txed.net/spreadsheets/d/1T1Zbk1wg-oMEFFB90ryHvdrPuDVqCAfQw6UXiLJfdV8/edit?usp=sharing)- We really do try to make everything perfect and everyone happy, I promise! This is not set in stone, but rather nearly-dry cement.
- Discipline matrix (http://www.lagovistaisd.net/users/0001/student/hs%20discipline%20matrix.pdf) and Dress Code (https://drive.google.com/a/lagovista.txed.net/file/d/0B9GUQCF2uqLcMTdicE9hcDlKRkU/edit?usp=sharing). In LVISD, the dress code is approved by the school board as it is actually board policy. Thus, to get it changed, the school board must change it. This is…a process and not a change I think the school board is interested in making right now. I have included the matrix as an FYI and the dress code as an item for review. We are expected to enforce all rules and policies set forth by the school board.
- School calendar (http://www.lagovistaisd.net/users/0001/docs/2014-15%20calendar.pdf). You will notice that graduation is on May 29, 2015. The week after graduation will be a workday followed by 5 staff development days. June 5 and June 8 will be exchange days for (see LVISD Staff Development Plan (https://drive.google.com/a/lagovista.txed.net/file/d/0B9GUQCF2uqLcRXNZMm0yZnhlY1E/edit?usp=sharing) for more information on exchange days.
- Inservice Schedule (https://drive.google.com/a/lagovista.txed.net/file/d/0B9GUQCF2uqLcSDNSQUF6WVhTcXc/edit?usp=sharing). Your first day back to work (for all returning teachers) is Monday, August 18. New teachers begin on Friday, August 15 - please see the New-to-the-District Inservice schedule.
If you have any questions or concerns or comments or just want to say hi, please stop by the office (after July 28), email me or give me a call. Remember, you can get your keys to your new room from Heather Sutton or Tyra Becker (during office hours) IF and only IF you have all your keys from the old HS turned in! Hope you are all having a great and restful summer and I will see you soon!