CHS Counselor Connection
Connecting School To Home!
MSBSD Summer School--Credit Recovery and Acceleration
MSBSD Summer School (Credit Recovery) & Summer Accelerated Learning:
We are receiving lots of questions regarding the district's plans for summer school and summer accelerated learning as some students would like to get ahead, and some have credits they need to retake to graduate on-time. Both situations are handled differently in the district.
Please look for information to be posted by the dates on the graphic. Check out the district website: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Rrzzo8-uhPPlLjV9BLU5LxT69jtT2X0v/view
Parents--please go to your student's school counselor for more summer school information.
- Credit recovery is May 31-June 23, 2023
- Acceleration is June 6-July 21st, 2023
NEW REQUIREMENT THIS YEAR!
- This is the first year that the summer programs will require students bring their MSBSD issued Chromebook devices.
Course List - March 20
- Our final course list will be posted at the beginning of quarter 4. In general, for summer school you can expect credit recovery courses in our four core areas in courses that are required to graduate with a few select elective options.
- Our summer accelerated learning program will focus on semester long courses offered in our four core areas, along with a handful of electives.
AP testing is next month! Please check your AP classroom to make sure you know your test dates; including any late tests you have selected! If you have any questions – please see Mr. Berg next week! You will get AP reminder notes at the end of April confirming your test dates and locations.
Important Dates 🐇
Summer Job Opportunities
MSBSD currently has job opportunities for students ages 16 and up. The School District will be hiring students this summer for positions in construction, grounds/maintenance, and painting. The application will close on Friday, April 14th.
State STAR testing April 18 (ELA) and April 19 (Math) for 9th graders
PSAT testing for Freshmen (free of cost) on April 20th
Senior Fun Day ~ April 24th
Professional Development Day ~No school April 28th
Step Up/Step Down Assembly ~ May 3rd at CHS
AP Testing ~Coming in May 2023
Seniors Last Day ~ May 11th
Graduation ~ May 17th, 11 am MANDATORY PRACTICE/ 7 pm Ceremony at the Menard
Quarter 4 Ends May 19th (last day of school!)
Seniors and Parents of Seniors!
Parents of the Graduating Class of 2023,
This year each graduating senior will be getting 12 tickets for the graduation ceremony. We will let families know as soon as they are available for pick up.
Grad Blast is a graduation night event organized and supervised by parents of the senior class. This annual event provides a fun, safe, drug and alcohol-free environment where our children can celebrate their achievements. The Colony High Administration and the Mat Su School District endorse Grad Blast, but it is not a school-sponsored activity and is funded purely through contributions. Additionally, the committee decided this year there will not be a ticket fee to attend, so we are reaching out to the families of the senior class to help with expenses.
We need everyone’s help to make Grad Blast a success! Please consider donating cash, snacks, or sweets to this worthwhile event.
There are 3 ways you can support the class of 2023:
1. Donate using the school pay link or mail a check to CHS Grad Blast. Checks may be mailed to the address below or dropped off at the CHS front office in an envelope marked “GRAD BLAST.”
2. Volunteer your time Sign Up Here
3. Donation of snacks, drinks, and prizes.
For up to date information visit our Facebook page @Colony HS Grad Blast 2023 or email CHSGradBlast2023@gmail.com to be added to the correspondence list.
CHS Grad Blast Committee
Nurse's Corner 🐇
Looking ahead to next school year, just a reminder that your teen may need to check in with their doctor over the summer for:
Tdap, Meningococcal, and HPV vaccines are recommended for this age group. Tdap is REQUIRED FOR SCHOOL
If you would like your student to be able to use their inhaler at school or in nurse office, I NEED AN ASTHMA PLAN SIGNED BY YOUR DOCTOR
If you would like your student to be able to carry an epi pen at school, I NEED AN ALLERGY PLAN SIGNED BY YOUR DOCTOR
Students should have an annual eye exam and vision test to see if correction is needed.
Please call or email me with any questions about school screenings, medications at school. I am here to help support students and their families any way I can.
Thank you for all you do for your teens!! They are amazing in so many ways.
Registrar's Corner 🐇
The MSBSD is a district of choice with an “open enrollment” policy, which means that a school can accept boundary exemption requests from all MSBSD students who reside outside their boundaries. If your choice is Colony High School ~ please complete the new process of submitting a Boundary Exemption and plan on attending Colony High in the Fall! Go Knights!
- Complete and submit the Boundary Exemption Form through ParentVUE -- Click Here for Instructions.
- It is the parent / guardian’s responsibility to transport their student(s) to the closest bus stop / route for the school that they are attending.
- For more information, regarding bus stop locations and timing, please contact the Matanuska Susitna Borough School District’s Pupil Transportation Department at (907) 761-4357.
Transcript Request for Seniors:
Please email Colony High’s registrar for transcript requests and it will be processed within 24 hours ~ sooner if needed. Share your legal name, date of birth, student ID # and the location the Official Transcript needs to be forwarded. If a college-university-vocational school-place of employment accepts by email ~ that will be how it is forwarded. Other form will be mailing the Official Transcript. Official Transcripts may not be forwarded to a student/parent.
Registrar ~ firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you! Jennifer Bostick 😊
Colony High School Counseling ❤️
Please email counselors with questions or concerns!